Cultures

Hey guys!!! So the real threat to the ship has finally arrived. Mwahahahahaha!!!!

But before I go on,this chapter is pretty important cause I'm gonna be using some traditional Malay culture in this story. Therefore,to avoid any confusion, I'm gonna explain the terms and process briefly to let you guys understand the story more.

In Malay culture,there's 5 process in a marriage.

1. Merisik
2. Meminang
3. Bertunang/Engagement
4. Menikah/ The wedding
5. Bersanding

Merisik:
This is the first step to get married. As quoted by my parents : "Merisik's function is to avoid embarrassing yourself"
You go merisik to make sure your intended is not actually taken. You meet your intended's family to ask and confirm that your chosen one is single.

Hence, once you go merisik, and receive good news, you'll immediately and directly do the pinangan.

Meminang:
As you meet and introduce yourself to your intended's family (specifically parents), you'll express your intention of marrying their child. It's more like a meet and greet session between the two sides because you get to know each others' background and so on.

Some might ask for time to think over it while some immediately answers. If they decline,then it's game over. However,if they accept, Congratulations! You are officially engaged!

Ps: note that in an arranged marriage,the parents can accept the pinangan even though you have no idea about it. ( Imagine getting a heart attack over getting an unexpected husband!)

Bertunang/ Engagement
The engagement is like most engagement that we know about. You make a promise to marry that person in the future. The engagement lasts until your wedding. So the engagement might end until as short as a week or as long as five years, depending on the wedding date agreed by both sides.

During the engagement,the bride and groom has more chance to get to know each other while preparing for their wedding. Supposedly,they are not allowed to meet up alone and must have a company when meeting each other (unless the situation forces them to)

Bernikah/Wedding
Now here comes my favourite part of all... The wedding!! Remember that Malay culture is heavily based on Islamic culture, so men and women who do not have any direct blood relation or are not married to each cannot touch one another.

But after their wedding,they can!!!!!!!

So during the wedding, it goes like this,

The wedding ceremony is usually held at the bride's house,so the groom arrives afterwards at the ceremony with his family who also brought along the dowry and the offerings.

The offerings are actually gifts for the bride and are served on seven plates which usually consists of perfumes, clothings, etc.

In return,the bride prepares five plates of gifts for the groom.

So in total, there's 12 plates if gift.

In a Malay wedding, there is no walking down the aisle. The family sits quietly in the room while the wedding commence.

During the wedding, a few people MUST be present for the wedding to commence:

1. The groom

2. The bride

3. The bride's wali ( representative; for instance: father, grandfather, brother, or if there is no blood related family member , a judge appointed by the king)

4. The Tok Kadi

5. 3 Witness (who can be any fair male)

If one of these people are missing,then the wedding is canceled.

The ceremony is like a ceremony where the father agrees to hand over his daughter to the groom. The Tok Kadi's role is like a priest where he leads the wedding ceremony. He reads a few holy lines and orders the father and the groom to read their lines.

The father goes first and say,
" I,..... the father of ..... shall hand over my daughter to ....... with the dowry of ....."

Then the groom continues,
" I,......take....... as my bride with the dowry of....."

They must say it fluently and cannot make any mistakes when reciting these lines . They only have three chances to say it. If they fail,the wedding is off.

After the father and groom recite the lines,the Tok Kadi will ask the witness to confirm that they succeeded in reciting the line and the wedding is official.

If it is confirmed, congratulations!! You're officially husband and wife.

The whole room recite a prayer to thank God for letting the wedding proceed well and the groom approach the bride and they hold each other for the first time.

Bersanding
This step isn't obligated, but highly recommended.

The objective of bersanding is to celebrate your marriage. You invite neighbours, friends, relatives for the event. The community don't usually go to the wedding as it is considered as a private and intimate event for the couple and family. Therefore, most will celebrity the wedding when bersanding.

During bersanding, a huge feast is held for the guest. A buffet of food is prepared for the guest to eat as much as they want.

Most of the times, music and simple performance are also held to entertain the guest and the married couple.

The bride and groom are seated on a pelamin (a beautifully decorated throne for two) and become king and queen for a day.
Guest will come to wish and congratulate them for their union.

Pelamin/throne

Pelamin/throne

........................................................

So that's it for this chapter. Hopefully it gives you guys an introduction to Malay wedding culture.

See ya!