2. Demolition Lovers

P L A Y L I S T

P L A Y L I S T

Demolition Lovers - My Chemical Romance

Believe - Yellowcard

Gabriel Luna removed his hard hat, glanced in the rearview mirror at his work partner loading the last of the orange traffic cones. When he and Cole restored power, lights flickered back to life like candles at a wedding. Gabriel had stared at them for a moment, a snapshot of Rosie popping into his head. It wasn't the first time today he'd thought of her. She'd been on his mind as soon as he'd noticed the date on his cell phone. November 3rd. The day she died.

Cole swung open the door, climbed in and slammed it. "Fire in the wire now."

"Yeah, we got a reprieve today because of the storm, but tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be good, so we'll have to replace a damaged pole on sixty-eight."

"I'm just glad the wind didn't blow it down or we'd have to work all night. Maybe we should drive by there and check it. After that, you wanna grab a beer?"

Getting drunk might be what Gabriel needed to push the blues away. "Sounds good."

"You okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You were staring at your phone like it held the secrets of the universe."

Not wanting to rehash his past bad luck, he couldn't truthfully answer that question. Following Rosie's death, he'd had all the pity he could handle. Cole and everyone else had hovered for weeks to make sure he was okay. Nope. He wanted no more of that.

"It's my sister. It's barely November, and she's already after me to commit to the Valentine Bid-for-a-Bachelor auction again. I already told her last year was my last time."

"Silbie won't take no for an answer because you raised the most money in the history of the benefit. For the chance of spending another evening with you, I bet Bennett ups her offer this year."

The truck scraped into gear, and Gabriel pulled from the curb. "Wipe that grin off your face. Dr. Bennett is scary. I spent the whole night afraid she was going to pop out a drill and suck marrow out of me."

"Hey, she could be your Sugar Mama and you wouldn't have to climb poles for a living. Hell, she's almost fifty. Let's say she dumps your ass in twenty years, you'll probably still be able to get it up and find someone your own age."

"If you think it's such a good deal, why don't you do it?"

"She ain't got the hots for me."

"What are you talking about? With your resting bitch face, she'll pay big bucks. And, like you said, her money can provide a life of leisure."

"Very funny. With the five thousand she shelled out last year, I think it's clear she prefers you. Besides, I'm dating Ellie now."

"Ellie... Eleanor Green?"