10. Talk

P L A Y L I S T

Talk - Hozier

"Done."

Owen had no idea what the auction entailed, but he was pretty sure it must be something bad if hometown hero wanted no part of it. On top of that, it messed up his plan of never returning to Parkers Prairie and seeing Silbie again. Every time he saw her all he wanted to do was take her in his arms and kiss her senseless, and that was not good.

He kept telling himself as soon as he got back home he could forget all about the beautiful teenager. Damn, the word made his chest burn.

"Hold on just a minute, Dad. You can't make decisions for me. I may not want to take part in the event." He glared at Gabriel. "I assume it's auctioning men off like pieces of meat. Right?" Plenty of his exes had watched exploitative television like The Bachelorette and its male counterpart. He couldn't imagine having to deal with being treated like a new toy all the kids wanted to get their hands on. "I could have reserve that weekend," he protested.

Gabriel ignored him. "That's a crude description. The money raised goes to a lot of worthy causes. One date. Spend an evening with the person who wins you and then it's over. They even pick up the tab for whatever you choose to do."

It still sounded a bit exploitative to him.

Matthew placed his hand on Owen's shoulder. "In this case, Zari is the worthy cause. We should be trying to help her get over this memory block. You saw the difference in her. We need to help her get back to her old self."

Gabriel interrupted. "What do you mean by different?"

"She would have never told someone she didn't like them. Zari's always been sensitive and kind and thoughtful of others feelings. And what she said about her name. That's crazy. She's always loved the story of how it came about and that her middle name is connected to her grandmother. No, the Zari we just saw is nothing like she should be." He tapped his chin, contemplative.

Then he turned to Owen. "You have to do this, Owen. It's such a small thing, I won't allow you to refuse."

He was right. What kind of brother would he be if he wasn't willing to sacrifice for her? But then again, Gabriel wanted him away from his sister so there must be more to this than he was saying. "Hold on a minute. I don't have to parade around in a speedo, do I? Because if that's the case, there's no way in hell I'm doing it. Good luck talking Dante into that one, too."

Gabriel shook his head. "No speedo. You can wear whatever you like. Everything from jeans to a tuxedo."

"Then what's the catch? Don't say there isn't one because you and I both know you want me out of town as soon as possible, and this just brings me right back. So level with me or no deal."