40. Wicked Heart

P L A Y L I S T
Wicked Heart - Sublime

No doubt about it, Zari thought as she stared out the passenger window of the car, she was cursed. Now that her memory had returned, recapping her life almost made her laugh. But it was no laughing matter. Bad jobs. Bad relationships. Bad decisions. Bad, bad, bad. Yep. Cursed. The crazy thing about it was she'd found the prince with the kiss to lift the spell, and what had she done? Made another bad choice—and left him.

Now he was a gazillion miles away probably licking his wounds with another woman, or worse, letting her lick them. Oh God. Who could blame him? Not Zari. She'd been unwilling to give him a chance to explain. Blocked him from her phone. Hurt him to the point he'd left town. And if all of that wasn't enough, now he'd be forced into fatherhood before he was ready. He'd made that clear. He wanted children—someday. Not now. Not this summer.

He'd only propose because Gabriel was the type of man who'd do right by her. But as long as she'd dreamed about that, she'd have to refuse. Forcing him would be just one more mistake added to her long list, and she was done with that. To get her life back on track, she would have to make concessions. Especially with her family. With a baby on the way, she'd need their support more than ever.

She'd have to swallow her pride. Return to Dallas. Move in with her mom, or even Matthew. Since she had performed at Grillenium Falcon and received lots of social media exposure, she should be able to find plenty of gigs in the city. Once she got established and on her feet, she'd find a small place of her own. Teach music during the day and book performances on the weekends Gabriel had the baby.

If he wanted it.

She thought back to how good he was with Lina, how he doted over baby Charlie. He'd want it, she realized. Even if it was too soon, she knew he'd be a great parent. Gabriel had been doing that all of his life.

It would be the best of both worlds. A career and stay at home mom at the same time. The only thing missing— someone to love. Gabriel.

Even if her relationship with Gabriel had been based on a lie, it had felt like the real thing. At least for her. She'd had the advantage. She'd gotten to know him for who he was, but he'd not been so lucky since even she'd not even known the real Zari Davis—until today.

Ellie's voice shook Zari from her thoughts.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?"

Her friend smiled sympathetically. "I said, you've been quiet since we left the hospital. I thought you'd be talking my ear off, especially since you said you remember Perry. Tell me about him."

Zari laughed under her breath. "I wish I could, but it turns out, I don't know him. I thought he was close to perfect. Handsome. Successful. Devoted. What a load of shit, "she huffed. The more she thought about Perry, the more she hated him for being such a colossal waste of her time.