14. Demons

P L A Y L I S T

Demons - Imagine Dragons

All the way home, logic battled emotion. Gabriel didn't understand how she affected him so much. Sure, desire was there, but was it more than lust? Couldn't be. He barely knew her. Maybe wanting what he couldn't have came into play. She had a significant other, which made Gabriel a mere stand-in. That had to be it. But everything about her got him going. Those blue eyes. The dimples drew attention to her lips and the way she giggled turned him inside out. Her kissing skills didn't help matters.

Maybe that was it!

He'd been without a woman for so long, all the attention, kissing, touching, and those smoldering looks she sent his way wreaked havoc on his libido. Well, he needed to do something about that. What that was, he didn't know. But in one more day, she'd be living with him, and if he was to survive with constant temptation as a bed partner, then he needed to come up with a plan.

Early the next morning, after Gabriel clocked in at work, he made his way to the office. He figured the request he was about to make wouldn't be refused, and it would definitely help him with the Zari problem.

The receptionist looked up. "Hey, Gabriel. How was your weekend?"

"Okay, I guess. Mr. Kim in?"

"Yeah, you need to see him?"

"Just for a second."

Before she could alert the boss, his door opened, and he stepped into the room. "Did I hear my name?"

Gabriel moved past her toward Kim. "You got a minute?"

"You bet. Come on in."

Gabriel followed, then closed the door behind him. "Just wanted to let you know I'll be happy to take call duty for the next few weeks. And add my name to the out-of-state relief roster."

Kim cocked his head. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah."

"Look, if you've got money problems—you know I'll help if I can. Jia got a promotion at work and—"

He shook his head. "I appreciate that, but I'm fine. Just thought I'd pick up a few extra hours. Is that a problem?"

"Absolutely not. But you would tell me if something was wrong—right? As your friend and boss, it's my duty and privilege to help if you're in trouble."

Gabriel didn't think woman trouble qualified for the type of difficulty Kim wanted to help with. Not that he could. Personal problems couldn't be handled by anyone but the person involved. That's what made them—personal. Gabriel wanted to laugh but stifled it. No need to burden his boss with the mess he'd gotten himself into.