15. I Should Just Walk Away

P L A Y L I S T

Grip - Bastille

Zari slept longer than she intended, but that little pill they gave her each night took away any chance of rising early. The nurse had helped her shower and wash her hair, then Zari gathered all her things, pulled out the least depressing ensemble her sister in law had packed. Gray and black sweats with a small white logo over her heart. With only one working hand, she'd had to call an aide to help her dress. This was going home day, and she couldn't wait to get out of this place. The doctors and nurses were all super nice, but she figured once she spent more time with Gabriel, her memory would come back. It was already happening. First the pudding, then the songwriting. Only a matter of time until she remembered everything. Then she'd solve the mystery of why she'd come to Parkers Prairie.

She got the feeling the subject made Gabriel uncomfortable, well actually all the questions she asked caused his face to scrunch in a weird way. Maybe it was because their relationship wasn't as serious as she thought. Or, that she was more serious than he. The reason didn't matter. She loved him and wouldn't pressure him. Might not remember her life, but she remembered some people didn't like to talk about feelings.

The thing she feared most was they'd broken up, and she'd come here to win him back. He admitted her visit was unexpected and by the way he stiffened every time she touched him or tried to talk about their relationship, something wasn't right. On the other hand, he must still care for her because he'd visited every day and agreed to let her stay with him. Well, if there was trouble between them, this was her chance to remedy the situation—and she intended to do just that.

But, it could be something else. Maybe her family didn't like him. There was definitely tension between Gabriel and Owen. She'd seen it in the sharp glances they exchanged. It could be the Davis-Kline-Filgard Clan thought they were too good to bring a blue-collar worker into the fold of rich criminal lawyers and prestigious doctors.

Funny, she should be thinking her godfather or her family but she couldn't when she had no recollection of her life with them. The attention they gave her seemed genuine, but she felt nothing but gratitude—and guilt, currently number one on her emotion chart. As if losing her memory was intentional.

The thought stopped her. She moved to the window and stared out at dark low hanging clouds. Tree branches danced in the wind. The dismal scene matched her mood.

A chill ran up her spine. What if her life had been so awful, she'd blacked out everything? From all she'd been told, even though she scored high on her SAT, she worked as a receptionist in the family law firm. That was way down on the success list from her family's accomplishments.

Was she not motivated? Had she been drifting along in life letting the family take care of her? She slumped down onto the bed and hung her head. Compared to them, clearly, she was an underachiever. Gabriel probably had dumped her. Why not? Other than notebooks of stupid songs, she had nothing to offer him.