Epilogue

P L A Y L I S T
What Means The Most To Me - Colbie Caillat

For the last couple of days, Zari splurged on self-help books and audio tapes on parenting. In a few months, she'd be a mother. Even the word made her queasy. Having to be responsible for another human's welfare and safety terrified her. How could she pull that off? She hadn't even done such a hot job keeping herself safe.

She perished the thought. There was so much to be happy about. Like today, her godfather's wedding. What should have been a high point, dimmed all to a blur. Vows said, rice thrown, bouquet tossed - into Ellie's arms. That's all she remembered.

She took another look at the floral arrangements. Cotton-candy peonies, buttery ranunculus, snowy hydrangeas, and the intoxicating fragrance of sweet pea scented the air. As if she wasn't already emotional enough, the scene moved her to the point of tears. She squeezed her eyes shut to keep them at bay.

She wasn't sad. Quite the contrary. There was nothing more joyous than two people pledging their love. Finding their life partner. Knowing they'd never be alone. Someone to always have their back.

Her dad used to say a person could find good in everything—if they looked hard enough. And Zari had tried. On the positive side, Perry was going to jail, but she had to testify. Owen was safe for now but wasn't coming home anytime soon. In a month, Silbie would graduate high school, and leave sooner than expected. And now, Zari had a secret to keep. She hated that.

Gabriel must have sensed Zari's uneasiness. From behind, he snaked his arms around her waist, rested his chin on her shoulder, and pressed his palms flat against her baby bump. "The whole family is here. I think this is a good—"

She cut him off. "Don't even think about it. Today is all about your mother and Matthew. We're not going to spoil it."

"Spoil what?" Dante asked.

Zari turned to glare at him. "None of your beeswax."

He frowned. "Who pissed in your wheaties?"

"Nothing." If she knew anything about Dante, it was he'd never let a subject drop until he got an answer.

He glanced around the room. "I'm going to get cake. Want me to bring you a piece?"

"No. I'm watching my waistline."

Dante smiled and patted her belly. "Good luck with that." Then he walked away.

Gabriel leaned down to whisper in Zari's ear. "I thought of more names."

She backed away and eyed him. "I hope they're better than the last two. Because I'm not naming a child Smith or Wesson."

He laughed. "No. These are serious. What about August and Jacob?"

Errant tears spilled down her cheeks.

He took her in his arms and pulled her tight. "Oh, baby. Don't cry. It'll be all right."

"Are you sure? I was just getting used to having a baby and now I find out there's two of them. I've never been a mother. What if I'm not good at it? What if I can't handle two? I couldn't even keep a fish alive."

He tilted her face up and gazed into her eyes. "But you're happy about the news, right?"

"Of course, I am. It's just an adjustment. We'll have to buy two of everything. Not to mention they'll be starting college at the same time. That's a huge expense. And I've never stuck with anything before."

He laughed. "You've got me. How about we postpone the worry until after the reception. Then, I'll worry right along with you."

She narrowed her eyes. "You're making fun of me."

"Little bit," he grinned. "Won't you reconsider taking this opportunity to let everyone know what a stud I am." He laid both hands on her belly and leaned his forehead to hers. "I put two babies in there."

Zari rolled her eyes, smiling.

"You did what?"

Zari whirled around to face Dante again. "Stop sneaking up on us!"

"I'm not!" He held his hands up in mock surrender. 'It's a reception. I'm mingling." He focused on Gabriel. "Did I hear you right? Two?"

Gabriel nodded.

Zari narrowed her eyes, then turned to Dante, ready to object, but it was too late.

He reeled around and threw his hands in the air. "Hey, everybody! Zari's having twins!"

She shook her head. So much for keeping a secret.

Gabriel wound his arms around her middle again. "Sorry."

She pushed him away and pinned him with her gaze. "Liar."

"You're right. Okay, but what about Miles and Davis?"

She quirked an eyebrow. He had been combing baby name websites for perfect names since he found out they were having twins. "You're not the least bit worried about any of this, are you?"

"Why would I be?" He rubbed her stomach. "Our kids have two parents who love them more than anything. Everything's going to be okay."

She bit her lip, unconvinced. "Are you sure?"

He chuckled and kissed the top of her head. "Would I lie to you?"

THE SILBIE/OWEN SPINOFF, TEARIN UP MY HEART, IS NOW AVAILABLE ON MY PROFILE.

______________________________

Weeeeelll. This is sad. It's been a ride.

I hope you enjoyed Gabriel and Zari's journey as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

Hats off to you.