4. Bring Me To Life

P L A Y L I S T

Bring Me To Life - Evanescence

Zari tried to figure out where she was. A cafeteria? It sure sounded like a busy restaurant. Oh, she hoped it was Mary's so she could get some of their mac 'n cheese and coconut pie with the mile-high meringue. People scurried all around clinging things and chattering. She didn't recognize any of the voices, and the light was so bright it burned right through her eyelids.

If this wasn't a place to eat, she needed to find the booth with the candy again. Zari tried to swallow, but her mouth was dry. A woman's voice came from far away saying something about sutures and needle gauges. Strange. If she could just open her eyes, she'd know where she was, but as hard as she tried, they wouldn't work. Nothing would. No feeling in her legs, and her arms were stiff.

A man nearby spoke. She felt his breath on her cheek. She tried to process what he said, but the words jumbled. She caught something about taking a nap. Good idea. She was tired and could use a short siesta, but she really wanted to eat first. Unfortunately, food would have to wait because fatigue overtook her, and she drifted away.

Even in her sleepy haze, sounds assaulted her ears. Somewhere, classical music played. She recognized the tune, but couldn't think of its title. Oh, well, once she woke and ate it would come to her. She just needed rest, but this bed was so hard her back hurt. And her head. Damn, couldn't one of the people darting around and making noise stop to bring her a pillow? They sounded more interested in discussing their plans for Saturday night. Two female voices scheduled a meeting at someplace called Grillenium Falcon. Funny. The thought made Zari laugh.

Now some dude complained about having to work tomorrow night, and how that put a kink in his plans.

Which reminded Zari, what day was it?

"Matthew, bring one of those blankets, she's shivering."

The voice sounded suspiciously like...

Mom? Zari tried to say, but again, her mouth was so dry her lips were stuck together. This was a miserable place. She was cold, tired, and hungry and nobody seemed to care. Add to that her inability to speak or move, it was like she'd fallen into some horror movie.

"Here you go, sweetie. This should warm you up," Alisha said.

Warmth settled over Zari. Finally, things were looking up. Now if she could just get some food, find out where she was, remember the name of that sonata, and get these bozos to laugh, she'd be fine.

*

Gabriel pushed open the door and inhaled the aroma of chicken wings and beer. All the bar stools were occupied, mostly by locals relaxing after work. He scanned the room and spied Cole and Riley, another old high school buddy, at a corner table. Good choice. This way they'd attract little attention. By now, news of the accident and rescue was all over town