5. Everything's Alright

P L A Y L I S T

Everything's Alright - Kan Gao ft. Laura Shigihara

Sunday morning when Gabriel arrived at Zari's room, the curtain was drawn. From the other side, two women spoke. According to their conversation, they were bathing her.

He turned and strolled back into the hallway and headed to the waiting area. Except for a young pregnant woman, the place was empty. Pulling a couple of antacids from his pocket, he popped them into his mouth.

The lady looked up and smiled. "Upset stomach?"

"Yeah. Been having a lot of that lately."

She rubbed her belly. "I know the feeling."

He dropped into one of the chairs flanking the sofa where she sat, removed his baseball cap and hung it over his knee. "I'm sure my discomfort doesn't come close to yours."

"At least I'm past that stage." She stuck out her hand. "Lily Waters-Filgard. Micah's wife."

He leaned forward and accepted the handshake. "Zari's sister-in-law?"

"You know her?"

"Not really. I'm Gabriel Luna. One of the guys who came upon the accident."

"Dr. Lewis told me about your visit yesterday and how she responded to you." Lily nodded toward a colored paper bag. "I brought some things for her. Magazines, books, makeup. I suppose she lost her iPod in the fire. Phone, too. I think her mom is getting her a new one. You know, for when she wakes up. We really appreciate what you're doing."

"Glad to help." That wasn't exactly the truth, but not a complete lie. "Would you mind telling me about her?"

"Not at all. She's a good person. Always does the right thing. Pretty plain." Lily gasped. "Oh, I don't mean that in a bad way. I mean, you've seen her car. She isn't flashy. She won't even touch her trust fund. Her dad died when Zari was younger. They were really close; she took it pretty hard."

"Oh." The next question was for Gabriel's benefit and had nothing to do with helping Zari, but he wanted to know, and this was the perfect time to get the info. "I suppose there's no boyfriend in the picture or he'd be here. Right?"

Lily giggled. "I really shouldn't laugh. She's not had the best of luck with love."

When she finished the summary of Zari's first two relationships, she moved on to her current love interest. "She's been seeing a guy named Perry, but he's out of the country right now. Texts Owen and Dante several times a day for any updates. Claims they had a petty argument, and that's why she was in this part of the country. God, if he cheated on her, he knows better than to admit it. Dealing with her family will not be pretty."