25. Something Just Like This

P L A Y L I S T

Something Just Like This - The Chain Smokers

After Zari ended the call, and Gabriel cleaned himself up, he had no trouble falling asleep but woke again when Cole came into the room. Gabriel didn't bother talking, just rolled over and pretended to be sleeping. But the truth was, both of his brains went right back to the phone sex. That escapade only made him want her more, and that was a problem. It took every ounce of restraint to fight the feelings he had for her, and if she continued the hand jobs and dirty talk, he'd lose the battle. Damn, if tonight's conversation had taken place in person, he would have already waved a white flag.

In a way, he had surrendered. He'd done everything she'd asked—twice. Because once he discovered it had been a first-time thing for her, too, that made all the difference. Bad enough she'd confused him with her real boyfriend, but Gabriel damn sure didn't want the things she did and said to come from that relationship. He'd only ever had four sex partners, and none had ever praised his cock, so when Zari said that, he'd lost it. Big time.

Talk about a triple threat. With the sex ban listed, he had a horny woman just waiting for him at home. His cock was already quivering in anticipation.

The next day, during the thirty minutes Gabriel took for lunch, he climbed inside his truck and called Lewis. One question kept niggling at Gabriel, and he needed an answer before he returned to Parkers Prairie, which according to the workload, would be Friday, unless, the weather turned worse.

"Hey, man. I'm not an uncle yet, am I?"

"Not yet, but close. Elena is putting up a good front, but Reid told me she's having pains. She tossed and turned all night, so I expect something to happen before the days over. How are things there? You going to stay longer?"

"No. Looks like we'll finish up Friday. I should be home on Saturday. I called to check on Elena, but I also have a question."

"Okay. Shoot."

"It's about Zari." Gabriel hesitated. He didn't know how much he wanted to tell him. He was a family friend, but he was also one of Zari's doctors. Come clean and confess his feelings, or play it cool and act as if he just wanted general information. "When she gets her memory back, will she remember everything that's happened with me? Or will she think that all happened with the other guy? Does that make sense?"

Lewis laughed. "Sorry. I don't mean to make light of this. I should have explained it better. She may have you confused with her boyfriend, but she knows you're you. She's only forgotten situations before the accident. The new memories she makes, she'll retain. Pie baking with your mother. Thanksgiving. How she got the dog. Understand?"

"Yeah—I guess. But..."

"Oh, wait. Is this about sex?"

"Damn, Lewis. I knew this would be hard, but not this much."