41. Make You Feel My Love

P L A Y L I S T
Make You Feel My Love - Adele

While Dr. Lewis examined her for the second time today, Zari prayed for good news. Cuts and scratches covered every exposed part of her body. When she'd tripped, she'd landed hard on jagged rocks. She needed to be sure...couldn't finish the thought. If she suffered a miscarriage for what Perry had done, she'd kill him herself.

"You can sit up now, Zari." He helped her pull up into a sitting position.

She slid her palm over her stomach. "Is the baby okay?"

He examined her chart. "Baby and mother are both fine. The bruises around your throat look pretty bad. And other than the sprained ankle and minor lacerations, you should be back to normal in a couple of weeks."

"A couple of weeks?" It seemed like just yesterday she was getting her cast off after her accident, and now she was going to have another rough couple of weeks healing.

"It'll take that long for the discoloration to completely fade. You'll need to take it easy." Silence reigned supreme before he spoke up again. "You going to tell Gabriel about the baby?"

She bit her lip. "Of course. Just not over the phone. That kind of news needs to be delivered in person."

"What about the attempted murder?"

She eyed him dubiously. She still couldn't believe Perry had tried to kill her. It all seemed so surreal. "Again, not a good topic for phone or text."

Lewis patted her shoulder. "In a town this size, it won't be a secret for long.  Gabe probably already knows. While Perry was treated at the Grapevine' emergency room, I heard they had a camera crew outside. Besides, you've become quite the internet sensation, so this will get lots of coverage."

"I hadn't thought of that. I can see the headline now: Girl Who Writes Crazy Lyrics Gets Attacked by Crazy Man."

Lewis chuckled. "At least you're getting your sense of humor back. That's a good sign. He's probably going to lose his left eye. Rebel did a job on him." He paused again, as if he wasn't sure he had any right to ask. "You going to stay at Gabriel's?"

"I don't know," she sighed. She had been thinking about it since she was brought in. "I'm safer at Grillenium Falcon, but now that the scumbag is in custody, safety isn't an issue. But I do like having Rebel with me, so I might stay at the house."

"I'll leave you to get dressed," he handed her a bag of her clothes. "You've got a waiting room full of people wanting to see you. Who do I send in first?"

"Matthew," he felt more like family than her mother did. "It's time I talk to him."

"Will do." Lewis gave her one final pat on the shoulder. "You need me for anything, day or night, call. Okay?"