31. River Flows Into You

P L A Y L I S T

River Flows Into You - Lindsey Stirling

All the way to Dawn's house, Zari's brain went to battle. Should she tell Silbie about the chance Owen might be called to active duty? On the one hand, if she did, Silbie would want to see him. On the other, given Gabriel's disapproval, he'd rather Owen go quietly into the night—or another country. Really didn't matter just as long as he was away from Silbie.

Zari reasoned if the situation was reversed, she'd want a chance to say goodbye. No doubt Silbie cared for Owen even though they didn't seem to have a relationship. But that was only because of distance and Gabriel.

A love affair with his little sister might be more dangerous than military combat.

Even though she'd not brought it up, Zari planned a trip to Dallas to empty her apartment and bring more things to Parkers Prairie. Regardless of getting her memory back or not, she didn't plan to return to the city. This was her home now, and with her new job, there was really no reason to leave.

Other than her bedroom furniture and a couple of other pieces she remembered, there wasn't much of her furnishings she wanted. Still, she needed to take stock of what she wanted to keep, then Dante and Owen could have first choice. What they didn't take, she'd donate or host a yard sale.

After the pie contest, she'd head to Dallas. Since her next performance wasn't until the following Thursday, she'd have plenty of time to make arrangements. With her lease ending January First, there was no better time than the present. Everything was falling into place, and that made Zari nervous.

Her life couldn't be this perfect. Nobodies could. There had to be a storm cloud somewhere. She felt it. In her bones. Heart. Soul. Had she always been this way? Borrowing trouble? A half-empty cup sort of girl unable to enjoy good fortune? Or, was there reason for gloom and doom? Something so terrible from her past that once discovered, everything would be taken away. The thought caused her to shudder.

As Gabriel brought his truck to a halt in his mom's driveway, he turned to Zari. "What's wrong? You've barely said anything since we left Elena's."

She faced him. "My life is so great, I just keep thinking I'm going to remember something that will ruin it."

"Like what?"

She looked down and shook her head. "I don't know. It's just a feeling. But surely if my family knew something, they'd tell me—right? And you wouldn't keep anything from me. Would you? Even if it was terrible?"

Gabriel unsnapped his seatbelt, leaned closer, freed hers, then pulled her across the seat into his arms. "You don't have a terrible bone in your body, so there can't be anything bad in your past. The problem is your memory loss."