16. Love Me Like You Do

P L A Y L I S T

Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding

When Elena finished brushing over all the high points of Gabriel's life, Zari loved him even more. He was everything she'd ever wanted. A selfless man who put others first. But the one thing missing from the summary had been any mention of her relationship with him. Elena had been extra careful to omit the slightest tidbit remotely connected to Zari, and that ignited a slimy panic in her gut.

More proof there may have been trouble in paradise, and she'd come here to win him back. Well, that's exactly what she'd do. Forget about what might have caused the riff; she just needed to concentrate on making things right. Unless—he'd done the one thing she considered unforgivable—cheat. She hastily forced the thought from her head; he didn't seem the type. Rarely anyone ever did, but he seemed like the reluctant one in the situation, not scrambling around for a half baked apology.

Had she cheated?

"Thanks for telling me about Gabriel. He doesn't talk about himself much. Well, actually, he doesn't talk much at all."  She stared down at her open palms, putting two and two together. The more she ruminated, the more she was slowly convincing herself maybe the problem was really her. But surely none of his friends or family would treat her nicely, amnesia or no, had she broken his heart.

Elena snorted. "Yeah, he's the silent brooding type, which can be a problem because you never know what he's thinking."

"I just have one question." She clasped her palms together, wondering if she should confide in Elena. She liked the girl, but she was Gabriel's friend. "He's—not very affectionate, and that leads me to believe our relationship might have been in trouble before the accident."

Elena stiffened, and Zari's stomach somersaulted, but she had to press on. Better to find out before things went too far. "Has Gabriel ever cheated on me?"

Elena rolled her eyes and groaned loudly, an indicator of how she felt about the subject. She sighed, watching Zari waiting in suspense. "Absolutely not. He'd never cheat."

"Did I cheat on him?" She hadn't anticipated breathing life into that question, but she had to know to quash the queasy feeling in her stomach.

"No," Elena answered a matter-of-factly.

Zari loosed the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. Now she could move forward with her plan to regain what they had before the accident.

She waved her hand in front of her body. "All the clothes I have are depressing. Is there a dress shop in town?"

"We have a new one. They carry trendy stuff." She waved her hand, "I guess. But if you don't find anything you like there, later this week, we could head out to Grapevine. They have more to choose from."