9. Beautiful Lie

P L A Y L I S T

Beautiful Lie - 30 Seconds To Mars

Gabriel's heart hammered and his stomach spiraled. Holy hell. Did she just say she loved him? That couldn't be right. She'd never met him. The statement about her being fuzzy was an understatement. She was slap-dab out of her mind.

Even if his heart was traitorously doing leaps in his stomach.

Before he could say anything, she moved in close for another kiss. He backed away. "Uh, we really shouldn't be doing this in front of an audience." He pointed to the slack-jawed spectators.

Zari scanned the room. "You're right. I'm sorry. Would y'all mind stepping outside, I'd like to make-out with my boyfriend."

Matthew rushed to her bedside. "Zari, he isn't your boyfriend. You don't even know him."

She frowned and huffed. "Don't be ridiculous. Of course, I know him." She stopped and rolled her eyes, then stared at the ceiling. "He's—okay, maybe I can't think of his name right now, but I know who he is, and did you call me Zari? What kind of name is that?"

Gabriel snapped his head toward the doctor. "What's going on?"

Lewis held up a finger. "Just a minute." He turned to her. "Do you know your name?"

Pulling her brows tight, she placed fingers to her head. "I'm not sure. Wait. It's Elyza. Yeah. That's it." Then she zeroed in on Gabriel again. "And his name is..." She brought her hand to her mouth and pressed it against her lips.

Gabriel couldn't stand it anymore. The sooner he made her realize she'd didn't know him, the sooner he could leave. "It's Gabriel."

She smiled up at him with the same adoration as before, like a chick hatching from its egg and imprinting on the first thing she saw. "Yeah. That sounds right. My brain is sort of fuzzy." Turning to face her godfather and his son, she narrowed her eyes and cocked her head. "Am I supposed to know both of you?" She finally took in her surroundings, looking around the drab white room. "Why am I in a hospital?"

"Sweetie, it's Matthew, your godfather, and this is your cousin. You had an accident."

She blinked and then blinked again. "I don't know." She shook her head, as if trying to dislodge the thoughts from her head. "I don't know you."

Owen stepped forward. "Cut the crap, Zari. I know you're jacking with us, but this little act isn't funny. We've been worried sick about you."

Ignoring him, she turned back to Gabriel, her chin high and commanding. "I don't like him. Make them leave."

Gabriel faced Lewis again. "Do something."

"Okay. All right. I think it will be a good idea for everyone to clear the room and let me have a moment with Miss Davis."