Ultrasound

"Alice?" A familiar voice speaks as a hand comes to rest on her shoulder. "Let's go home, sweetheart." She looks up to see her parents standing there and she nods slowly.

She stares out the window the whole ride, her hand absentmindedly rubbing her stomach.

"He'll be alright, honey." Her mom assures her.

She doesn't say anything, just nods and continues to stare out the window.

She doesn't remember much after they get home, just remembers dragging herself upstairs and climbing into bed.

A soft knock on her door brings her back to reality. "Alice?" Fred pokes his head in and gives her a sad smile. "Thought you could use a friend right now, can I come in?"

She nods slowly and moves over to make some room for Fred beside her. "Fucking Penny set him up. Made him do a run and then called the damn cops on him so he'd get caught."

"How long is he in there for?"

"Who knows. Could be a few months could be a few years, I guess it all depends on how the judge sees things." She sniffles and Fred wraps his arm around her shoulder. "I don't want him to go to jail, Fred."

"I know, Alice... I don't want him to either."

"We had so many plans, we were going to graduate and go to college together, get our own place... we're even having a baby."

"Wait, what?" Fred asks, shocked at the revelation.

"I'm pregnant."

"Jesus, I know you two love each other and all but isn't it a little soon to start a family."

"It wasn't planned you asshole." Alice glares at him. "But we were going to have it, raise it... we were going to be good parents, Fred."

"You still can, Alice. He might not go to prison."

"Maybe you're right." She sighs, she doesn't believe him as much as she wants to.

"Your parents know about their grandchild on the way?"

"No. We were going to tell them today before everything went to shit."

"You want me to stay with you while you tell them? I've never been in the situation myself but I'm sure you could use a friend there for support."

"If you don't mind."

"Of course not, that's why I offered."

"They're going to kill me."

"It'll be alright." He hugs her tightly and leads her out of her room. "Let's get this over with so we can focus on getting him out of jail."

_____

"I have to tell you something." Alice sniffles as she sits with Fred across from her parents. She's clutching Fred's hand so tightly he's scared she'll break it but if it's what she needs then he's willing to help. She's his best friend's girlfriend, she's one of his best friends, he wants to be there for her.

"You can tell us anything sweetheart, you know that." Her dad smiles at her.

"FP and I... I'm pregnant." Their jaws drop and Alice takes a deep breath. "We were planning to tell you today but then he... he got arrested." She chokes on her words and her parents are up in an instant to hold her.

"Oh, honey." He mom strokes her hair as they comfort her. "Are you sure?"

"We didn't take a test or anything but I know I am."

"We'll go to the doctors today."

She sniffles. "You're not mad?"

"Well we're not happy but you're going through enough right now, the last thing you need is us losing it on you for getting pregnant." Her dad answers on behalf of both her and her mom.

"Come on, lets go see if you are in fact pregnant."

_____

"Alright, let's see if we can find this little baby." The doctor moves the wand all around her stomach as Alice's eyes stay glued on the ultrasound screen. "Oh, there it is!" She points to a spot on the screen and Alice smiles. That's her baby.

"It's so tiny."

"Well judging by what I see here I'd say your about three months pregnant."

"Three months?" Her mother's eyes nearly big out of her head. "Alice how on Earth have you managed to keep this a secret that long?"

"I was staying at FP's a lot for a reason." She shrugs and turns back to the screen.

"Now if we're lucky we might be able to hear your baby's heartbeat." She continues moving the wand around Alice's stomach and smiles to herself. "There it is." She turns up the machine so they can all hear.

The steady beat of her baby's heart comes through and she feels happy tears fill her eyes. She just wishes FP was here to experience it with her.

"I'll go print your ultrasound." The doctor smiles at her. "Congratulations."

"Thank you." Alice returns the smile. "Oh, wait! Could you print an extra copy? For my boyfriend? He'd love to have one."