I'll Be There For You

Much to Chic's disapproval she sees Hal repeatedly, the two of them just getting to know each other by going on dates and outings where they talk for hours. It's strange to her how last year he was such a nuisance but now she thinks she might actually be falling for him.

He picked her up earlier that evening and took her for dinner at Pop's Chocklit Shoppe and then down to Sweetwater River to look at the stars. Though, they've had their mouths glued together since the second he parked.

As his tongue slips past her lips she moves herself into his lap, the motion welcomed by Hal who's hands come to rest on her hips, finger just barely grazing the soft skin underneath the hem of her baggy t-shirt.

She starts trailing her kisses lower, pressing a sucking kiss just below his ear. He gets a better grip on her hips and pushes her back a little. "Alice, um... I'm a, I mean I've never..." he trails off and she catches on.

She smiles and presses a soft kiss to his lips. "That's okay," she loves back into her seat and smiles at him again. "we don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with."

"It's not that I don't want to, believe me, you're gorgeous, it's just-"

She cuts him off with a kiss. "You don't need to explain, it's okay, really." She kisses him once more and then opens her door. "Now come on, let's go look at the stars."

_____

"I'm such an idiot, Fred! You have no idea!" She complains, flopping down on his bed dramatically.

"You're not an idiot, Al." He assures her.

"No? Because I think I am. My boyfriends in jail and now I'm going out with his arch enemy."

"Cooper's his arch enemy?"

"Well no, but they don't really like each other. I'm scum, I'm the worst girlfriend ever." She groans into his pillows and he chuckles as he rubs her back.

"You're not the worst girlfriend ever, you're just doing what he asked you to do. He didn't want you to wait for him, and yeah maybe it's not ideal that you chose Cooper of all people but if it's what makes you happy then I think FP would be okay with that."

"I almost slept with him."

"What?"

"We went down to Sweetwater River and we were making out and then I moved into his lap-"

"You do realize you're pregnant and that having sex with him would probably draw attention to the fact that you're carrying a kid around inside you."

"I know that you idiot! But my hormones are insane, I'm tempted to bribe the people at the prison to let FP have a conjugal visit with me."

"Jeez, I knew you two were horndogs but that's a new level."

She narrows her eyes at him and smacks him with a pillow. "It's the baby. Being pregnant is making my hormones go completely out of whack and I'm horny all the time-"

"Alice, you're one of my best friends and I love you to death but I really don't want to hear about how horny you are."

"Sorry." Her cheeks blush slightly and she sits up to rest her head on his shoulder.

He places his hand on her stomach and feels Chic kick against his hand. "Hey, my little buddy's kicking! Yeah lil' dude, I'm your uncle Fred!" Alice smiles at Fred's excitement. "So wait, you said you almost had sex with him?" She nods. "Why didn't you guys go all the way? You suddenly get a sense of modesty?"

She smacks him upside the head and he laughs. "No. He's a virgin."

"Cooper's a virgin? Damn, being captain of the football team doesn't get you as many girls as I thought it would."

"I think it's kind of sweet."

"You're just saying that because you have to push a baby out in a few months."

"Well I mean, I'm definitely not looking forward to that part but I wouldn't trade in Chic for anything. I just hate that FP's missing out on so much and is going to miss out on so much of his early years."

"At least you can visit him a lot."

"Yeah that's the only good part about it. Still, we're only allowed to see each other without the glass separating us once a week, he's only going to get to hold his son once a week! Every other interaction will occur behind a panel of glass." She sighs.

"I know it sucks but I'm here! I can teach him how to throw a football, I can take him fishing, take him to the monster truck races, I'll do that for him."

"You will?"

He nods and pulls her close, kissing her forehead. "Yeah, I may not be his dad but I am his dad's best friend, and I'm going to help you make sure this kid has a damn good life."

"Thanks, Fred. I don't know what I'd do without you."