Cheeseburgers

"Alice?" Hal starts as they work away on the paper. "Are you doing anything after we're done here?"

"Was just going to go home. Why do you ask?"

"Thought maybe we could go get celebratory milkshakes."

"Celebratory milkshakes?"

"Yeah I mean we've brought out multiple issues of the Blue & Gold by ourselves now, I think we deserve some celebratory milkshakes. My treat."

"Alright, that sounds nice."

So after they finish up the paper they head to Pop's Chocklit shoppe for a round of milkshakes.

"You know, you're actually tolerable to hang out with now." Alice tells Hal as she sips on her milkshake.

"Thanks?"

"It's a compliment. You were an ass."

"Yeah, I know. I wish I could go back and change it but I can't."

"I feel like everyone wishes sometimes that they could go back and change things." She wishes FP could go back in time, not do the run for Penny. Maybe he'd be across the booth from her right now instead of Hal.

"You want a ride home?" Hal offers after they've finished their milkshakes.

"No thanks, I'll walk. I told FP I'd meet him."

"It's no trouble, really."

"It's alright, I'm just going to grab some hamburgers for FP," well, his baby but Hal doesn't need to know that. "and then I'll head out. You don't have to stick around."

"Alright then, see you later Alice."

"Bye, Hal."

She waits until Hal is out of the lot to go up to the counter. "Hey Pop, can I get two cheeseburgers and an order of onion rings?"

"Sure you can." He rings the order through. "I'm sorry to hear about FP by the way."

Her eyes grow wide. "You know?"

"Yeah, I heard Fred and Hermione talking about him the other day when they were in here."

"You happen to overhear anything else from those big mouths?"

"I may have." He smiles at her and she knows he's heard about her pregnancy. She's gonna kill Fred. "I won't tell anyone don't worry."

"Thanks Pop."

"I could've guessed it by your orders lately. You were always more of a veggie burger and fries kinda gal."

"Yeah being pregnant with FP's baby means I've developed his taste in food. This kid wants me to eat 24/7."

"Well it's definitely FP's child."

"No doubt about that." They share a laugh as Pop puts her order in a takeout container. "How much?" Alice asks, pulling her wallet from her coat pocket.

"It's on the house."

"You don't have to do that Pop."

"Nonsense, I know this must be a hard time for you right now. Besides, you're having FP's baby, you're gonna be broke by the time your pregnancy is over with how often it wants you to eat."

"Thanks a lot Pop. I'm sure I'll see you very soon."

"Have a good night Alice."

_____

Alice is laying in her bed eating her meal when she feels Chickpea wiggling around in her belly. She rests her hand on her stomach and smiles excitedly when she feels him nudge against her fingertips. "Hey you, what are you up to in there?" Chic moves around some more at the sound of Alice's voice. "You're really active tonight, maybe you can kick tomorrow for daddy when we go see him? We're actually going to be able to hug him and everything. He's going to love getting to talk to you and kiss you."

She takes another bite of her cheeseburger and slowly rubs her bump. "This is daddy's shirt we're wearing, you can't smell it but it smells like him. I can't wait until you can really meet your daddy. He's going to love you so much. So will your grandpa." Chic movies even more and she can feel herself getting emotional. "I love you Chic... so much."