twentynine.

Today was Aubrey and Camilla's first day back at the restaurant. They'd been off for about two weeks but were ready to come back, the anxiety they both had was overruled by the thought of becoming too comfortable with working from home.

"Why do I have the feeling we're going to come back to a totally new restaurant?" Camilla said to Aubrey as he opened the passenger door of the car for her.

"You just really think they're being that bad huh?" Aubrey chuckled, watching Camilla's behind as she stepped out.

"I am a controlling woman who was raised by a controlling woman, I know who I'm dealing with" Camilla giggled.

"I'm glad you know" Aubrey joked, letting Camilla walk in front of him as they approached the entrance.

"That sling is saving from me hitting you" Camilla joked, opening the door for Aubrey. Aubrey noticed Camilla had been more cold towards him this morning, she seemed upset but not ready to be vocal about it.

"Surprise!" The employees cheered as Aubrey and Camilla walked in. There was a large congratulations cake placed on the counter while the employees along with Sandi and Julianna stood beside them smiling.

"Aw, thanks you guys" Camilla smiled, trying to go around and give all of them brief hugs.

"Thanks guys, we appreciate this" Aubrey chuckled. "But, what is the congratulations for?" He added, looking down at the cake.

"Oh yeah.." Camilla looked at them, then to both Sandi and Julianna, realising they had spoken about Camilla's pregnancy.

"It's kind of a congratulations on the baby, on being married and on being alive" one of the employees said, laughing nervously.

"Funny guy you are" Camilla let out a short laugh. She shot Sandi and Julianna a disapproving look, before continuing to hug the employees and cutting the cake. "I feel very appreciated as boss" she chuckled.

"I'm not really a cake person but I appreciate this, man" Aubrey said, watching Camilla cut into the cake. He could tell by her demeanour that she was about to go off on somebody.

By the time the full working day had begun, it was almost like nothing had happened. Everything was back to normal. Camilla was still in a mood over her mother and Aubrey's mother speaking on her pregnancy before she got the chance to.

"Can I talk to you both for a second?" Camilla said, squeezing in between Sandi and Julianna as they spoke amongst themselves.

"We really didn't mean any harm, it just slipped out" Sandi began to speak.

"I know but, it's just annoying because that wasn't something I was ready to share with them yet"

"I know, Camilla but we were so excited that Aubrey was back in shape and you guys have this blessing about to come into your lives" Julianna looked at her.

"Yes, but that's amongst the family- you know what? It's fine" Camilla sighed, walking off.

"Camilla don't be upset with us, we didn't mean anything by it"

"I'm not upset, but if I stay here any longer I will be" Camilla said, forcing a smile and walking off. She was stopped in her tracks by Aubrey who was clearly eavesdropping on the conversation.

"C, you're being completely out of line and disrespectful" Aubrey pulled her away to one side.

"Me? You don't think telling a whole bunch of people, our business is out of line and disrespectful?"

"When it's your mother in law- matter of a fact, your own mother, it's not out of line. When I was in the hospital they looked after this place, they didn't have to do that but they did because they care about us"

"Oh fuck off, Aubrey" Camilla kissed her teeth. "Why can you never take my side?"

"I always take your side, you're mad about something so small. You're nearly 5 months pregnant, they would've found out anyway. You're letting this pregnancy stress you out, just chill"

"You know why I'm not gonna chill? Let me tell you why I'm not gonna chill Aubrey-" Camilla laughed, clearly not amused but evidently angered.

"Camilla-"

"You know what, you have some nerve. I'm asking you to have my back on this one thing, since the whole of our business is already public knowledge, I just wanted-"

"This is not why you're mad Camilla, what's wrong with you?" Aubrey sighed then looked at her.

"I'm going home" She replied, kissing her teeth.

"Talk to me" Aubrey placed his hand across the doorway to drop her from leaving.

"I heard you talking to Hush about my da- LD" Camilla sighed.

"What? Oh-"Aubrey realised what she had overheard.

*this morning*

"You wanna kill him, then kill him" Aubrey spoke, whispering lowly on the phone. "Hush, I told you. I can't get my hands dirty. Not right now, anyway"

Aubrey caught himself, turning around to look to see if Camilla was nearby. He sighed loudly, placing a hand on his head.

"Hush, listen to me" He rolled his eyes. "Camilla would never forgive me for some shit like this...yeah nigga, that's why I said do what you want and keep me out of it"

"Just give me some time to think, right now isn't the time for me to even consider getting back into some shit like this" Aubrey said, finally ending the call.
*

"Yeah" Camilla looked at him.

"It wasn't like that, if you heard me you'd know I said I can't get my hands dirty"

"You're going to be a father in 4 months, you have a business and you're married...you're letting niggas that don't have none of that run your life!"

"They're not running shit! I run this shit and you know that!"

"So why is it you with the bullet wound?" Camilla looked up at him. "Why do you even care about running shit? You don't get it Aubrey, when I took you back I wanted a normal life. I don't want to be anticipating whether my husband is going back to jail"

"You don't trust me? Cause I might do some stupid shit but it's not enough to end up in jail. I'm turning my life around for you and our child"

"Take this shit serious! You think this is-"

"What the fuck is going on?" Chubbs knocked on the office door. Aubrey opened the door, letting him in. "You guys need to keep it down, it's not that hard to hear" he said, looking at

"Chubbs can you drive me home? I don't wanna be here" Camilla asked, avoiding eye contact with Aubrey.

"We're talking" Aubrey looked at her.

"No we're not"

"Take her home, Chubbs" Aubrey shook his head as Chubbs stood there bewildered.

The whole journey home was silent. Chubbs was in complete confusion and Camilla was in her feelings. She wasn't sure if it was the hormones or genuine hurt but either way, Aubrey wasn't in her good books right now.