Chapter 18: Lost Symphony

When I got to the hospital my mother had already been checked in, and was just getting comfy in her room. I entered and set her things down on the couch at the back of the room by the windows. My mother was being tended to by a nurse for her cut. About fifteen minutes after that the nurse entered again, this time with a doctor.

"Mrs. Walsh, how are we feeling today." He started out. My mother blinked and lowered her head a bit. She sighed and I knew she most likely was beating herself up on the inside for doing what she did. My mother had this habit of being way to critical of herself. Guess I got some of that from her myself, but I was nowhere near her level. My mother lifted her head and finally spoke after a few moments of silence.

"I don't know, I feel tired." She looked from him to me and gave me a soft smile.

"And you must be Mrs. Walsh's daughter?" He asked.

"That's right doctor."

"And how did you find her again?" He asked as he was jotting things down on the file in his hands.

"I just got back from being at my Aunt's in another country and when I got home I couldn't find her, finally I was able to see she was in the downstairs bathroom throwing up and she was bleeding. I called Hanna, the Nurse who was assigned to check on my mother ever two weeks. That's how my mother got here."

"Ah, I see. Mrs. Walsh do you think you can walk me through what happened?" He asked as he pulled a chair closer the side of my mother's hospital bed and sat down. My mother looked at him and then looked down.

"I don't.... I don't really know what happened. I was excited to have my daughter come back home. Even though it's only for a few days." She said as she started to grip the sheets she was under and twist them in her hands. "I think, maybe I remembered before. The things he did to her, her cries, and how bad of a mother I was to not prevent it...." She trailed off and I felt my eyes fill up with tears. I did my best not to blink, knowing if I did my mother might see my tears and feel worse. I hated crying.

"Mrs. Walsh, I certainly don't think you're a bad mother. Your daughter here doesn't seem to think so either." The doctor said sweetly and my mother looked up to me. I quickly tried to wipe my tears away and moved beside my mother's bed. I placed my hand over hers and smiled at her.

"You're a good mom, you did your best. That's really all a mother can do. I love you." I leaned down and kissed her cheek, she smiled and I noticed the tears starting to fall down her face. I knew my mother wasn't to blame. When she married my father she had no idea how much of a monster he was. He hit her often for doing pretty much nothing wrong. Just the things he deemed wrong. I never blamed her for the abuse he decided to unleash on me though. I stood there for a bit longer, rubbing my hand over hers.

"Mrs. Walsh I'm going to hook you up to this IV drip because you are a bit dehydrated okay?" The doctor suddenly said as he was handed a needle. The nurse then went over and grabbed a clear liquid filled bag from a cart she had wheeled in. My mother nodded and held her other hand out for the doctor. He stuck the needle in carefully and as the nurse hooked the bag onto the IV stand the doctor took the tube part and plugged it into the end of the needle in my mother's hand.

"Do you feel a cooling sensation Mrs. Walsh?" he asked.

"Yes, Doctor." My mother stated as she leaned back in her bed. I turned and went to my mother's bag, pulling out a few books I grabbed for her to read. She thanked me and had me set them on her little side table. I set them down and petted her head as the Doctor finished writing down some things.