Chapter 19: Audition

My mother seemed much better this morning, Hanna stayed with her and helped her most of the morning. Hanna pulled me aside to let me know my Uncle was paying for in a live in assistant, and she said she would be filling that role as my mother was comfortable with her. I thanked her and gave my mother a goodbye hug and kissed her cheek. I hated to leave her like this, but she usually recovers within a few months. The issue is keeping her from reverting again. I understood it though, when you marry a monster like him... I hated him with a passion. I went back to my mom's and finished packing the last few things I had. I texted Addie and she said she was on her way. I was glad she'd be going with me, her girlfriend had to work but Addie planned to pick her up later and make a night drive back to New York. I couldn't help but apologize for any trouble I was causing her. Of course she just embraced me in a hug and called me an adorable moron for having such thoughts.

Have I mentioned how much I loved her? We drove the 3 and a half hours to NY city and I managed to take a little nap since I hadn't gotten much sleeping worrying about my mom. I shouldn't have taken that nap...

It was dark, but not like the darkness from before. This was a new uneasy darkness. I saw brief flashes of light, then like usual the spotlight turned on, but under it wasn't the violin. It was a child, a small girl with a white lace ankle length dress. She had long dark hair and a pretty white bow that tied back some of her hair. Her head was lowered so I couldn't see her face, then the light turned off and I was left in darkness again. I tried to move forward but suddenly I was stopped by some invisible wall. I looked around and two more spot lights turned on. I knew the figure instantly, Yoongi. He was holding his hand out to me, I felt my cheeks become damp, and when I touched my face I felt the wetness of my tears. I wasn't crying, but my eyes were flooding and I couldn't stop it. The second spot light was a violin case, but no violin. The darkness took over again, I tried to turn around and walk in another direction, I was able to move a bit until a spotlight in front of me turned on, it was another male shadow. My eyes widened as the image shifted and he wasn't alone anymore, his arm was extended slightly, his hand around the throat of a woman... my mother. I knew in that moment who that figure was. I tried to cry out to her, I couldn't. The man continued to tighten his grip. I couldn't move, the wall was up again. I slammed my fists against it, yelling as much as I could for my mother. Tears were streaming down my face and I didn't care. I didn't understand any of this but I knew I needed to help my mother.

I jolted up out of the sleep, Addie was looking at me with a worried face, I noticed we were stopped on the side of the highway.

"Lyra! Are you okay? You were screaming in your sleep." She said, rubbing my arm gently. I nodded and swallowed a lump in my throat.

"I'm okay." I said slightly unsure but I hoped saying it out loud would help me to believe it.

"Are you sure?" She asked again. I looked around and blinked a few times. The images of my.. no.. of that monster strangling my mother were haunting me. I pulled out my phone and opened the browser.

"Addie, you have family who are police officers right?" I asked trying to remember as I typed the monsters name into the search bar. He's behind bars still I'm sure of it.

"Yeah why?" She asked curiously.

"I'm going to sound more crazy than usual, but hear me out okay?" I said while scrolling through the results. I glanced at her and she nodded.

"I think my father's out of jail." I said with a sullen look. Addie blinked and then took her phone out. She scrolled through her contacts and clicked on a name. I waited, still looking through as I caught half her conversation.