Chapter 27: The Devil's Violin

I think I was dreaming again, wherever I was. It clearly wasn't real. It was dark, but I wasn't in the darkness, no I was sitting on patch of green grass with beautiful wild flowers. Pink, blue, purple, orange, and yellow all surrounded me in a warm glow of something, some sort of light. The sun? No it couldn't be. It was dark everywhere else, this had to be a dream. I wiggled my legs as they were stretched out, I was wearing a white and peach colored sun-dress. It hung down below my knees and was very light feeling. I brought my knees up to my chest and wiggled my bare toes against the soft grass. It almost felt real, but it wasn't. I knew it wasn't, like so many times before.

Why was I here though? The Violin had burned down with my house, right? I assumed that's what had happened to it. I hadn't had visions of it in a while, so it must have been destroyed.

"No." I heard a distorted voice in the darkness as I slowly lowered my knees from my chest. I looked around me, into the darkness.

"Is someone there?" I decided to call out, a little surprised my voice seemed normal. I've tried to talk when in this dream state before I always had trouble. However here I was able to speak clearly. Nothing responded at first. Then a saw it, the black violin. It was playing a creepy, eerie tune. I watched as it seemingly floated in the darkness, swaying but still playing this tune. I felt my eyes getting heavy, tired, I shook my head and tried to resist it. I need to stand, to move. I slowly got up, straightening out the dress and tossing my hair back over my shoulders. I locked my eyes onto the violin again and watched it move in circles around me and patch of grass and wild flowers. As it spun, I looked down, noticing shadow engulfing the flowers along the edge of the patch of grass. It made it look as if the patch was shrinking. As I looked to the violin again I noticed shadow like fingers pressing against the strings. I balled my hands into fists at my side and leap at the violin which seemingly disappeared as I crashed through was seemed like a glass floor, breaking under my fall. I fell into more emptiness and suddenly there was a sharp pain. A pain like I'd never felt, this pain shot through my heart all over my body, making me jump up with widened eyes.

I blinked, not knowing where I was. I looked around me to see faces, faces staring at me expectantly. What were they expecting, for me to speak? For me to smile? For me to break out into a dance number? I looked to the nurse who entered and checked my vitals. I stayed still, not speaking.

"Lyra, you're going to be okay now." My friend Addie was speaking softly to me, I tried to force a smile. Why? I wasn't sure. I reached out for her hand though, and she came over and placed her hand over mine as she took the seat to my right. "Steph is going to be fine too, so don't you worry." She said as she kissed the top of my forehead. I looked at her curiously and found myself able to speak.

"Why wouldn't she be fine? Did you have another stupid argument?" I asked, giving a half-hearted smile. Addie's expression shifted to a look of absolute confusion. She looked at the nurse and the nurse even looked at me strangely. She smiled sweetly at me and came a bit closer.

"Miss Walsh, do you know where you are?" The light brown-haired middle-aged woman asked with a warm smile.

"From the outfit you're wearing and the bed I'm in, I'm going to assume I'm in the hospital unless this is some really weird costume party." I said as I blinked again and let my eyes rest on Addie again. She gently squeezed my hand and I noticed she looked to the other side of me and then back to someone else who was in the room. I followed her gaze to a tall very handsome man behind her, he was leaning against the wall right by the door. Addie looked at me and squeezed my hand.

"That's Namjoon, remember him? He's your friend, and your boyfriend's friend." She spoke softly to me and I gave her a look of confusion at the word.