XVII|The funeral

JAMES SIRIUS POTTER

It had gone three weeks since Athena's death. People had started to smile more. They were getting better with the thought of Athena being in a better place now. I had taken the time of my day to finally get out of the castle and wonder around Hogsmeade.

I had bought sweets from Honeydukes and continued to walk around.

"James!" Albus came rushing to me "Dad wants to talk to you, Said it was urgent" He panted "Alright, Thanks Al" He nodded and walked to the three broomsticks.

"Oh and also, Mum is also there with Luna Scamander" he yelled behind his shoulder.

I nodded and began making my way through the crowds of students "Sorry" I muttered when I accidentally bumped into a girl making her fall down. "No it was my fault, wasn't watching where o was going" She whispered.

All of a sudden she looked up under her dark hood. I could only see her eyes, but they were so familiar, like I had stared into them all my life.

"Pardon" She said quickly and sprinted away.

"Wait!" I called out for her, but she had already disappeared. Sighing I walked towards the castle where I met with my parents in McGonagall's office.

"James" Mother engulfed me in a hug "Son" Father nodded and patted my back "Hello" Athena's Mother Said beside her husband Rolf. Luna looked like she was sad that Her only daughter had passed away but glad that Athena was in a better place now.

However Rolf looked as if he was ready to bloody murder whoever killed his daughter.

"We came to discuss about Athena's funeral" I furrowed my eyebrows, why did they decide to have her funeral three whole weeks after her death? 

"It has gone three weeks, yes, but it took some time to get over the fact that she's passed" Rolf finally spoke.

"I understand, when is it going to be?"

"Tomorrow" McGonagall Said.

"Alright if that was all" I began walked out.

"James wait!" Luna called out before I leaved "She would have wanted you to have this" She put a bunch of envelopes in my hands "She wrote home to us before she..You know.. passed" She hugged me and walked away to her husband.

I shoved all the envelopes inside the pockets of my robe while also walking to Herbology.

"Hello Potter" a voice said behind me "Here to talk shit about Athena again?, We'll then fuck off Westenberg" I spat "Calm down mate, I'm sorry Alright" He sighed.

"I realized that I shouldn't have talked that way about your Athena, it really was a shame that she died"

"Yeah, it was"

The following day, on an early Saturday the whole school except for the second and first years had gone to the forbidden forest where her body would be buried.

There was a clearing in the woods followed by rows of chairs lined up in front of a flower field.

"We have gathered here today to say farewell to Miss Scamander whom passed away three weeks ago due to an ambush" Headmistress McGonagall wore all black with the rest of us.

"I came out as gay some weeks before the holidays in a letter I wrote to my mother" some boy came on stage, he looked at a woman in the crowd.

"Although at first Mother was furious Athena talked some sense into her before leaving after the holidays. Athena Scamander was the best friend in the muggle movies, the type of best friend who would beat up anyone who hurt you and stick with you through thick and thin, all the way to the end" His mother hugged him once he sat back down again.

"Athena was like a sister to me, although I didn't have any siblings she would always treat me like her brother, at first I couldn't think of why she would actually talk to me. But then I realized she was not like the rest of us. In a good way of course. She managed to see through all of my flaws and bring out the good in me, and for that I am for ever grateful for the things she did for me. Without her I wouldn't be standing here today" Her friend Scorpius shed a tear while being comforted by His father and Asher.

Her two brothers came on stage.

"Our sister was our protector" they stared off "We were homesick the first day we came to hogwarts, we said that we wanted to go home to Mum and dad" The two chuckled at the memory.

"But instead of telling us soothing words to cheer us up she laughed at us. She said and I quote 'Trust me Lads, once you become comfortable here hogwarts will be like a second home for ya' The memory still gets me every time" Lorcan Said.

The two brothers comforted each other and sat down next to their father as their mum walked up next.

"I remember sending off my daughter to hogwarts, she was so happy and excited that she almost forgot her trunks. Athena has promised to write to us once she got to hogwarts, which she did" Luna Scamander took a deep breath.

"A couple years went passed and as you know the marriage law happened and we received a long two envelope letter from her that day, she went on and on about how the lad she got paired with is a total arrogant ferret" I chuckled.

"But as days went by she was starting to like this guy. She talked about how he made her happy and that she just wanted to finish the letter so that she could be with him again. My daughter always saw good in everything, and in some cases it was considered bad luck. Nonetheless she still continued to be herself and that was what we loved about her" Luna broke down into sobs and collapsed into her husbands arms.

After a couple more people, who talked about how amazing she was as a student, friend, sister, and all kinds of stuff Lily had pushed me up the stage.

I took a deep breath and prepared the paper I had in hand. Furrowing my eyebrows I crumbled he pice of paper and put it inside my pocket.

"All I can say about Athena is that, she was very brave, smart, kind, funny and beautiful. At first I didn't take notice to her personality or her beauty because I was a fool. I bullied her until we got paired together. And only then did I realize that I had fallen completely in love with her"

I stared at all the people, all of them wore black, some were sobbing, crying their eyes out while others had blank, emotionless expressions.

"Half Of you here today barely knew her favorite color, some may have grown up with her their whole life, for some she may have saved your lives, and some had just waved at her In the halls, talked to her about homework, seen her around school, and even for somebody in here, they didn't even know that there even was an Athena Scamander"

"But there will always be an Athena Scamander, and we may never forget about her, whether we want to or not" I said.

"May you Rest In Peace Athena Dawn Scamander" McGonagall Said And everyone began to exit.

I went to the feast and then just walked around the places Athena used to love being in.

All alone in the astronomy tower I pulled out the letters from my robes.