Chapter 8

"So, Henry has his first date?" Ruby asks.

Emma and Killian are walking the few blocks to Dr. Hopper's office for their second session with him. Ruby called up daily now to check in with her friend and to ensure she's okay.

"Yes, he does," Emma says.

"Is it that girl he always talks about, Violet?"

"Y-Yes, how do you know that?" Emma asks.

"I took shifts watching your son while you were gone Em. He and I talked."

"Really?" she frowns, suspecting that Ruby wasn't being truthful. Her superpower was working once again.

"Yeah, people still do that,"

"Ruby..."

"Okay fine I'd overhear his conversations sometimes... by accident," the waitress emphasizes. "He talked to this girl a lot while you were gone. It seemed like she was his only friend."

Emma's stomach twists when her friend says that. She knew that Henry had always had trouble fitting in with his peers, but the thought of her son with only one friend made her concerned. It was bad enough being a teenager, but one without friends is even worse.

"She was his confidante, but I always suspected that he'd eventually ask her out."

"That's great," Emma says as Killian holds the door for her. They enter Dr. Hopper's office. "I gotta go, Rubes, we might come by Granny's later."

"Coolio, good luck," before she hangs up.

The couple checks into the office and then wait for their session. Killian puts his hand on Emma's. She twitches slightly from the sudden contact but accepts it.

"Nervous Love?" he asks.

"Little bit," Emma mutters. "I really need to find a way to control my anxiety. I had a Titanic-sized freak out the other night in front of Henry."

Killian looks at her with concern and gently squeezes her hand. He refrains himself from kissing her as it might set her off again.

"Dr. Hopper will see you now," the secretary says.

The couple continues to hold hands as they go down the hall to Archie's office.

"Good Afternoon Miss Swan and Mr. Jones," the therapist says, smiling at the two. He shows his teeth and reveals a small gap between two of them.

"Hello again Dr. Hopper," Emma says.

"And how are we feeling today?"

The two look at each other.

"A-Alright I guess," she answers.

"Well, I'm glad to hear that now how would you like to start today's session. Is there anything very important that you need to tell me?"

Emma swallows and rubs her hand over her stomach, shifting into a more comfortable position. "Well... I've had a few panic attacks this week, one in front of my son."

"I see," the doctor says, beginning to take notes. "Can you describe to me what happened?"

Emma goes on to explain her having a complete breakdown while cooking dinner. She tells him how her entire body felt weak and her mind filled with terrible "what if" scenarios. She talks about the look on Henry's face and her assumptions on how he must've felt having to comfort his grown mother who was bawling like a child in front of him. Her hand shakes in Killian's grasp and he rubs her palm with his thumb as a way of trying to soothe her. Dr. Hopper listens with concern and makes a few notes on paper as his patient talks.