Chapter 18

Henry shudders as he tries to be comfortable in the bus shelter. He may have a roof over his head to prevent any rain or snow, but the glass walls provide little protection from the bitterly cold wind. He tries to use one of his extra sweaters as a blanket and curling up into a ball to preserve heat, but nothing seems to work. He jumps at every little sound he hears and that includes a car going by or the wind rattling the branches of a nearby tree.

His heart continues to pound against his chest, the first reason by trying to keep his body warm and the second, he was afraid. Every sound was magnified out here in the cold. Everything seemed so much scarier and unnerving out here. He had no way of protecting himself and the cold hard bench was nothing like his bed at home.

At home, he had blankets and lights, warm clothing, doors with locks, running water, hot chocolate, and a mother who was always there to protect him.

The teenager feels a tear go down his cheek at the thought of his mother. She was probably still asleep with Killian and wouldn't notice he was gone until morning at least. He tries not to imagine how she might react to him running off...would the stress cause her to miscarry? Would she call the cops? Would she have search parties sent out? Would she even care that he was gone?

His body begins to shiver increasingly with the cold wind. His teeth chatter as it tries to conserve the last little bit of heat he had. He keeps his hands under his head to keep them warm. Part of wishes he'd grabbed warmer gloves at home...

No, it wasn't his home now, he had no home. He was going to find someplace else to live since his mother wanted to move and his father wouldn't let him stay at his place either. He felt completely alone. He had some money, he could find a place to rent maybe or find a hotel... just until he found a job and could pay for everything.

Henry's mind continues to race. He hadn't realized what he'd have to pay for anything if he was by himself. Rent, food, electricity, the internet, his phone bill, clothes... he may have some cash, but certainly not enough to take care of himself. He thinks about school; how could he attend now that he was on his own, should he try to register at a new school. What about Violet?

His heart sank at the thought of Violet Roberts. He'd be leaving her behind and after they'd just started dating. Would she miss him? Would she hate him for doing this? She could probably find someone better than him...

The shivering teen's mind goes back to his mother again. He remembers what it was like to be separated from her, for the four months that she was missing. The nightmares he had of receiving a phone call that they'd found her body. Those days spent putting up posters and when he'd just stare off into space, wondering if she'd ever come home. He could hear her voice over and over in his head, especially after the phone call, her pleas for help and that she loved him. He remembers when he could embrace her again, her warmth and her laughter at being reunited with her. To hear the joy in her voice and how happy he was to hear her call him "Bug" again. How safe he felt when she tucked him in that night. He had been happy, excited even, for her when she found out the baby was a girl and it wasn't her kidnapper's, and he did like Killian. The guy was cool and was his friend not his father...

It still didn't feel right. If felt too fast and the thought of moving away turns these memories into sad ones. He rolls over on the bench and pushes the thoughts from his mind.

He continues to lay his head back on the duffle bag, but his fairytale book makes it hard to feel comfortable. The lack of sleep, the memories of his family, the cold wind, the lack of control in his life and the anxiety he felt over running away made him frustrated and even angry.

Eventually, he removes the book with such frustrated force he could have ripped his zipper. Then he has a sudden urge to throw it away. Something suddenly catches his eye and makes him stop. Something was sticking out from the pages of his book. He'd never noticed it before now since the book had been buried in his closet once he outgrew fairy tales.