Chapter 42

The nurse brings baby Sophie down the hall to her mother's room.

"How are we doing this morning Miss Swan?" the woman asks, cradling the new baby.

"Just fine thank you," Emma says.

"Are we ready to try nursing?"

"I guess so," the blonde shrugs. She hadn't breastfed a child since Henry and she remembered how painful it was. Mary Margret had given her tips to cope with the soreness, but Emma knew about the inevitable pain.

"I'm going to the cafeteria," Henry says, jumping up, not completely comfortable with his mom nursing his new baby sister in front of him.

Killian looks at Emma and then her son. Even though he should get used to the fact that his girlfriend will be breastfeeding their daughter, he felt like he should give her the privacy, plus he hadn't eaten since the other day.

"You don't mind if I join the lad do you Love?"

Emma can understand their discomfort. "No, I don't but keep in mind both of you that I'll be doing this as often as Sophie needs, so you better get used to it now."

"We will, just not this second," Henry says in a practically whiny voice.

"Okay, go and eat something," she says. Killian gives her a kiss before exiting with Henry.

The nurse then approaches the new mother with the infant. Emma prepares to receive the baby, happy to feel the tiny warm load in her arms again. Sophie looks up at her mother with bright blue eyes and makes a few soft noises. Emma smiles down at her little girl and begins to try and feed her.

What the blonde learns right away that the little girl is stubborn... much like herself. She refuses to turn towards the food and won't open her mouth. She cries a little bit and continues to squirm, much to her mother's worry. Emma could see the fiery personality already shining through. The nurse told her not to worry as some babies take longer to learn to nurse.

It takes a while, but eventually, Sophie's hunger wins out and she looks for a source of food. Once she latches on, she becomes content and quiet again. Emma is a bundle of sensations and in a bit of pain from this, but it feels...unusual... in a good way.

The nurse lets the mother and daughter bond for a little while, leaving them alone.

However, down the hall, heavy boots punish the tiled floor as someone begins walking towards the Swan room. He has a mission in mind, he did not feel certain of himself, his stomach turned multiple times in anguish. His heart threatened to break his ribcage as his shadow was cast over the room door. The fluorescent lights shine overhead, casting shadows across this person's face. He takes a deep breath, preparing to face her...

The door opens.

"Oh God I'm sorry," Neal says, turning away immediately when he sees what Emma's doing.

His ex-girlfriend reacts by pulling her knees up to cover herself. Her face turns red.

"I...I'll come back when you're done," he says before shutting it again.

Emma swallows a large lump in her throat and once he's gone, goes back into a more comfortable position for her daughter.

...

Once Sophie is asleep, there's a knock at the door.

"Is it safe to come in now?" he asks, only leaving the door open a crack so he doesn't see anything.

"Yes, just quietly please," Emma says.

Both take deep breaths as they prepare to face one another.