Chapter 39

Regina walks into the front office of Henry's high school. A tired receptionist with bright red curly hair, that looks like a mop, looks up at her. She drinks from a bear-shaped coffee mug and looks at the equally dishevelled and tired woman who had pyjama pants on, standing in front of her desk.

"Hello, how can I help ya?" she says in a Scottish accent.

"I'm here to pick up Henry Swan."

"And you are?"

"Regina Mills, I'm his godmother."

"May I ask for the reason you are pulling him out of classes?"

"His mother is in labour at the hospital and she'd like him to be there."

"I see, do you have a note to sign him out of class?"

Regina bites her lip hard. "No, I don't,"

"Well, unfortunately, it is the school's policy to have parental permission in order to leave school grounds."

"She's in the hospital right in labour, she can't exactly write a note..." the brunette hisses angrily. She then thinks of another idea. "Will a phone call suffice?"

"I suppose it would," the secretary says.

"I'll call her right now Miss... uh... Duck Broth

"It's DunBroch," the woman says firmly.

"I'm sorry, I'm bad with Scottish names,"

"That's fine."

Regina goes to the far corner of the office and dials Emma's number.

...

"OH MAN THIS HURTS!" Emma screams out.

"Just a few more second love," Killian says, holding her hand. She squeezed it extremely tightly, making his hand ache. It surprised him how strong Emma was this moment.

"Five more seconds, five... four..." Mary Margret says, looking at her watch.

"Count faster..." Emma whines.

"It's okay love," he says.

"Two... One..."

The contraction ends and the blonde lays her head back in exhaustion. Killian grabs a cloth and begins wiping her sweaty brow. Emma has tears in her eyes, ready for this to be over already.

"You're doing so well," Mary Margret says, coming to sit beside her friend again.

"Aye," her boyfriend agrees, kissing her clean forehead.

"You did this to me..." Emma growls, grinding her teeth together.

"Don't worry, she might say some things that she doesn't mean over the next few hours. Don't worry, it's just the pain talking."

Killian nods and keeps his eyes on Emma.

Suddenly, Emma's phone buzzes on the hospital nightstand. Confused, Mary Margret picks it up.

"Regina?" she says, answering it.

"Is Emma there?"

"Uh... yes, she is, but she can't talk right now."

"She'll have to because the only way I can get Henry out of class is by parental consent and considering I'm not his mom..."

"Well, this isn't exactly the best time to be asking for this..." the teacher protests.

"Just put her on the phone!"

"This is..."

"Who is it?" Emma pants, rolling over to see what the fuss was all about.