A Means to an End

"You're a fucking disgrace!" A shrill sounded from the entrance door.

A figure of a tall woman swayed side to side, having obvious indicators that she was under the influence of alcohol. Her disheveled red dress hugged her body nicely, for a woman in her mid thirties she took great care of herself. Blonde dyed hair was curled but now lost its volume throughout her duration of the night she had spent out.

Her face was red and scrunched up in anger, at what, her daughter. She huffed at the young woman of almost 21 years old. Her looks were more, much more extraordinary than her mother's, yet it dulled down many levels from the dirty worn, too-big-for-the-body clothes, uneven chopped black hair that reached and covered her eyes and stopped just above her nose.

She wasn't moving at all while being bombarded with the usual screaming, but this time was different, her father was out of the picture now, he had died from a bar fight and all of his debt had gone to his wife.

"Why can't you pay for everything? Huh! You have no job, school is a burden on a waste like you, if only you hadn't been born, he wouldn't have fought with that man that was talking perverted of you-"

She didn't stay to listen, turning and taking her leave she heard her mother's yells go on and on from behind her and she walked up the stairs of their house. She could hear her mothers exclaims to come back down or there will be consequences. But how could she?

She felt something, silent tears dripped over her cheeks, her scratched up feet and scared body from the years of abuse had pilled up.

She just wanted everything to end.

Entering her room she sat on her bed and looked at a certain spot on her poor excuse of a dresser, the mirror was cracked the wood was chipped and rotting.

But one thing stood out from everything else, a music box.

Beautifully carved from oak wood to last for lifetimes. She took out a wooden key from around her neck and stood up.

She was the only one able to open it, three keyholes that needed to be turned on a certain way and a certain time. In soon clicked open.

She opened it with a shaking hand, ever since it broke some time ago it never healed again, the nerves were crushed so it stayed a shaky mess. Inside was a small switch blade given to her by her aunt, she would always advise her niece to protect herself when needed. But to never use it against a family member, so she didn't.

Her aunt too passed away, way before the abuse started at the age of four. Some would call her aunt crazy for giving a four year old a switch blade, she said it was never too late to have protection. Especially to a beautiful girl like herself.

Flicking it open she saw the silver blade shine brightly, her reflection shinning against her and showing a single peek through her thick curtain of black hair to the vibrant green eyes that she shared with her mother.

Banging ensured against her wooden door, she didn't flinch at the regular outburst.

"Come out of there you rotten bitch!" Her mothers voice sounded hoarse from all the screaming. "I should have never gotten pregnant, if it wasn't for you, he wouldn't have turned to other women!" She was now crying. "Im sorry... Mommy is sorry, please come out honey... Come out... COME OUT YOU BITCH!" Her sobs turned into rage yet again, the famous family anger issues that didn't lessen throughout the years was evidently clear through her.

Without hesitating at all the blade glided against her skinny pale clear wrist, the only part that didn't have abuse written on it.

Her breathing became fast but there wasn't sound. She broke out into a cold sweat as blood left her body, she shivered at the blood loss, her body that was now on the floor was being surrounded slowly by her own blood. She had thought it would hurt, but she felt nothing, she was both disappointed and relieved at the same time.

Dissapointed because she felt like she deserved the pain as her mother would always say its her fault, and relieved that her mother would finally be happy without her.

I hope she's happy.

A single thought crosses her mind as her vision turned to black.