16 : The Link

"Encore! Encore! Encore!"

Everyone cheered so loud that my little hands had to cover my ears. I started screaming for them to be quiet but my voice was drowned by the hype. I wasn't in the mood. If I remember it correctly, it had something to do with my cousin not letting me borrow his box of crayons with 120 colors. 

"Ano ba yan! Ba't may bata dito sa bar?!" 

"Ang iresponsable naman ng mga magulang!"

"Anak daw yan ng vocalist ng banda!"

"Seryoso? May anak na pala siya?"

During those days, I had no idea what people were talking about. Well, I knew they were talking about me but it felt like nothing. Maybe because I got used to everyone talking about us, or maybe it was because I just didn't care. After all, I was just a little kid that time.

I sat by the bar counter as I waited and waited. When I saw that they were finally coming down the stage, I turned at the bartender and asked for my backpack. Funny how the Bartender also became my babysitter whenever I was at the bar.

Next thing I know, Dad was already right in front of me. Dressed in an over-sized white shirt and drenched with sweat, his guitar bag hung by his shoulder. He smiled wide and raised his hand, asking for a high five. "Hey Kiddo!"

Umiling ako habang nakabusangot. "Ayoko!"

Dad chuckled as he knelt a little . "Inis ka pa rin kay Kuya Weewee mo?"

"Madamot siya! Di niya ako pinahiram ng crayons! 120 colors pa naman!" Paghihimutok ko.

Dad chuckled as he grabbed my Spiderman backpack and took out a juice pack inside it. He punched in the straw and gave it to me before wiping his sweat using the towels in my bag. "Reika, diba binigyan ka ni Kuya Weewee ng biscuits last week?"

Napabusangot ako lalo. "Hindi naman ako humingi!"

Dad smiled and carried me down the chair. He wore my Spiderman backpack on the other shoulder, obviously not minding the people who were looking at us. 

 He held my right hand as my left held the juice that I was sipping. We walked out of the bar, holding each other's hand like we always dId.

"Reika, hindi sa lahat ng oras mapagbibigyan ang gusto mo. Diba sinabi ko na 'yan sa'yo?" Dad asked with his gentle cold voice as we stepped outside the cold streets of Filimon Heights.

I had no idea what time it was but I  think it was late considering the streets were close to being empty and the air was colder than usual. 

"Reika, are you even listening to me?" Dad asked again so I giggled. I was an easily-distracted kid.

"Ano nga iyon Dad?" I asked as I started skipping. Aside from being easily-distracted, I was really moody too.