Live A Little

(Serena POV)

By Friday, everyone is buzzing about Chris throwing a party tonight to celebrate the end of the baby project. The boy would throw a party for nearly anything...birthdays, graduations, his first chest hair. He was just a party animal, but he is known for throwing the most legendary parties too.

"Please tell me you're coming to this party with me." Deion says during lunch. He's waiting for Autumn and Jasmine with me at our usual lunch table.

"Are you crazy?" I ask him. "Of course im not going. For one thing i don't do parties and second of all my parents would never let me."

Deion groans and shakes my arm. "Come onnn, break the rules for once. Come have fun. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!" He yells.

Heads turn to look at us and I start laughing. That's one thing i love about Deion, he is a bold mofo who isnt afraid to be a little spontaneous. He loves attention anyway so his personality fits him perfectly.

"Deion I'm not going. I have too much school work already and I need to maintain decent grades to get into Howard." I say popping a grape in my mouth. "You know how important this is to my mom."

"Why are you living in your mom's shadow, Serena?" Deion says.

I look up at him slowly to find him already staring me down. The guilty butterflies in my stomach take flight as I shake my head.

"You dont know what you're talking about Deion." I tell him trying to play it off like his words don't hurt.

Deion's eyes darken and narrow at me. "That's a load of Bull and we both know that you dont wanna go to Howard. You're so busy pleasing your mom that you cant even please yourself."

"I bet you've got plenty of girls to please you." I say smugly.

"Dont change the topic." Deion says laughing. I laugh too and plead that Jasmine and Autumn will show up any minute. "Alright answer this for me. When was the last time you felt an adrenaline rush from doing something fun?"

I open my mouth to respond but nothing comes out. When was the last time i did anything fun? Probably around the time i moved into high school, thats when all the fun ended for me and my mom became strict as hell.

Deion grins at me. "Ha you're blank. That settles it, you're going to that party. Pick you up around 8."

I open my mouth to protest but all he does is pat my head before going off to hang with Daniel. "And wear something nice!" He calls over his shoulder.

A few minutes later Autumn and Jasmine come and sit down. I bring up Chris's party and after a long time of arguing, they agreed to come too.

"Guys, do you think it's weird that Daniel and I haven't talked in a few days? He's called but I've been avoiding him." Autumn says.

"Aww, why not?" Jasmine asks, eating some of her tater tots.

Autumn shrugs. "I don't know, I just feel like he's not...there for me. Like in his mind, I don't come first. Other things do."

"Like Destiny?" I ask. Her eyes lock onto her mine and grow wide.

"So you've noticed too..."She says biting her nails.

"Don't jump to conclusion though, just give him a little space and if he really like you he'll put you first." I tell her, trying to stay positive. Jasmine nods in agreement and Autumn continues to bite her nail, not entirely sure what to believe.

Thank God I don't have boy issues.

**

In life science it was time to hand in our dolls. I was kind of sad that the project was over so quickly. I had a lot of fun with Shay.

"Thank God this project is ova. Remind me neva to get pregnant." This ghetto girl named Renee says as she hands in her doll.

"Too bad your legs are always open like this is some kind of 24 hour convenience store." Chris says to her. The class laughs as she snaps her gum and gives him a stank face.

I laugh to myself and hand in my doll.

"And what has this project taught you Serena?" My teacher asks.

I think about it for a second before answering. "That once you have a child you have to learn to multi task cause if you dont...you're life is gonna be 10 times harder." I respond. He nods in agreement to my answer and i sit back down.

My mind wanders back to what Deion said about me living in my moms shadow.

He knows me way too well, he can tell that i want to make my own decisions and plan my own future, but i dont want my mom to feel like im backing out on my dreams even though they're really her dreams.

As more people hand in their dolls I begin thinking of how I'm going to get to the party without my parents seeing. I formulated a whole plan in my head, now I just have to take the risk. I could feel my adrenaline begin to rush from excitement and honestly...i liked the feeling.

**

I picked at the Chinese food my mom had brought home for dinner that night. I couldnt eat, my stomach was flipping and flopping all over the place from nervousness and excitement.

"Rena, are you ok? You've barely eaten any of your Chinese food. Did the guy get your order wrong again?" My mom asks.

"No its fine, i just have a stomachache." I mumble. Which isn't technically a lie, my stomach is hurting but only because i was holding in my excitement too much.

My dad looks up at me. "You want some of grandmas special soup. She taught me how to make it just for these reasons."

I grimace and nearly throw up on the spot. The soup he's referring to us a mixture of herbs, curry powder and asparagus. The smell alone would make anyone puke.

"No thanks I'm just gonna go lay down. Please dont come in my room and bother me, im just gonna sleep until the morning." I say closing my Chinese container and putting it in the fridge.

"Good night baby, feel better." My mother says pulling me down to kiss her on the cheek.

I smile weakly and trudge upstairs. I sit on my bed and fiddle with my phone, nervous about what I'm about to do.

My phone buzzes with a text: 'come on'

I take a deep breath and slip off my pajamas to reveal my black skinnies and a purple halter top i've never worn. I grab my sneakers and open the window, flinging them outside where they land with a soft thud.

Stuffing my blanket with pillows to make it look like im under it, i turn out my light and crawl through the window, gripping the rough tree branch in my hand.

"You go Katniss, climb that tree." Deion yells to me.

"Hahaha, shut up." I whisper to him. I glance down at the ground below me. A few more branches and I'm free.

(sowwy for errors)