Cant Back Out

(Chris’s POV)

 Later on in the day, after Craig has helped me clean up the house, I head over to Joey’s hangout. Some abandoned warehouse on the edge of the town that secluded enough to do his dirty business. As I walk into the cold dusty building, I can hear laughing coming from a door to the right. I peer inside to see a girl dressed in a body hugging silver dress and sky high heels sitting on the edge of Joey’s desk. His boys are in a corner playing some kind of poker game with the tv on mute.

 I walk in and Joey looks up at me. A big smile spreads across his face and he motions me to come closer. I walk right up to his desk with my hands shoved in my pockets. They were sweaty as I clenched and unclenched them.

 “Chresanto, my best worker. How’s it goin?” Joey asks me, blowing smoke into the air.

 I smile casually. “Everything’s good, I guess.”

 “That’s what I like to hear.” Joey says to me. He swivels in his chair and bends to pick up something. He comes up with a little plastic baggie filled with weed. He tosses it to me and I catch easily. “I’ve got a easy deal for you today. A guy on the Avenue, white Benz with illegal tints. Keep it all, you’ve been doing well lately.”

 I look down at the bag in my hand. The green balls of weed packaged tightly, daring me to tear it open and roll it up. I wanted to, you have no idea how bad I wanted to. But I couldn’t, I wanted Tamara more than I have ever wanted something in my life. No matter how much I wanted to make easy cash, I wanted to do something right for once.

 “Joey, we need to talk.” I say hoarsely.

 “Speak up kid, I’m all ears.” Joey says rubbing the thigh of the girl who was eyeing me hungrily. She bit her lip before taking her gaze off me and glancing around the room.

 I fiddle with the bag in my hands and put my next words together in my head. “I can’t work for you anymore Joey. Thank you so much for supporting me for so many years but I can’t continue to break the law like this. It could ruin my life, forever and I’ve got so much more ahead of me. I just…I don’t know, this just isn’t what I want to do anymore.”

 Joey’s silent, so silent that for a minute I think he’s ignoring me. I look up to see his eyes boring into my soul. His expression is blank and so still that a knot forms in my stomach.

 Just then he burst out laughing, making me and the girl jump.

 “Good one Chresanto, you almost had me too.” He says laughing loudly. “Theatre is doing well for you in your little fancy arts academy.”

 “I’m---I’m serious Joey. I quit doing business with you anymore.” I say trying to keep my voice steady.

 Joey’s face falls, he breaks his gaze from me and looks at his glass of Brandy. Next thing I know, Joey has flung his glass against the wall making it shatter to a million pieces. His boys, Damon and Marcus, look over and the girl flinches.

 “What the hell do you mean you quit? You’re not walking out on me Chresanto, I’ve broken backs for you and this is how you repay me? Fuck no!” He yells.

 I don’t flinch, I don’t blink..hell I barely even breath.

 “I know and I thank you for that Joey. But I can’t do this anymore, it’s wrong.” I say.

 “Was it wrong when you were getting paid every week? Was it wrong when I bought you that car to make your work easier. Was it wrong when I helped support you and your mother?” Joey asks standing up.

 I shake my head and turn to head out. But as I do the girl that was sitting on his desk steps in front of me and pushes me back roughly. She forces me to walk backwards until I bump right into Joey’s desk. Her finger trails down my chest and towards my bellybutton before Joey grabs me by the collar. He yanks my shirt hard, causing me to spin around and face his wrinkled face.

 “You know the deal Chresanto, I have to kill the ones that decide to walk out on me. You know…just getting rid of the evidence.” He says.

 My throat begins to close up and I can’t speak. I’m not scared though, I’m worried. Worried that my mom will stress herself out wondering what happened to me, worried that my life could end any minute, worried that Craig would know exactly what has happened to me and put his life in danger. There were countless things to worry about as I heard the click of a gun being set up.

 Joey turns me around to face the girl in the tight dress. She’s holding a gun aimed right at my chest, over the place my heart is. Her face looked so innocent, so fragile. But I knew on the inside was a bad bitch, just like Tamara. The difference is, Tamara has a heart.

 I swallowed hard, I knew this would be my punishment so I might as well take it. I held my breath, hoping that my lungs would collapse from a loss of oxygen. Maybe that will be less painful than a bullet going through me.

 “It doesn’t have to be like this Chresanto,” Joey hisses in my ear. His hot breath coursing over my skin. “You can make this deal for me and continue working, or you can refuse and be killed. Then you’ll be buried where no one can find you.”

 My heart was slamming in my chest. I could barely hear him over my own heart beat.

 “A week.” I breath out.

 “What?” Joey asks. His voice still low in my ear.

 “Give me a week to think about it. I promise I won’t tell, run, or do anything to weasel my way out of this.” I say.

 Joey’s quiet for a moment before a strong pair of hands wrap around my neck. He pulls me close to his face, his stale breath nearly killing me. “You have a week Chris. If you haven’t made the sell by next Saturday you’re life is over. And if you even think about going to the police about me I’ll take something you love away from you….or maybe someone you love.”

 My eyes widened, my mom. He wouldn’t dare think about touching her!

 Wait this is Joey, he’d probably kill his own family to get what he wanted.

 My thoughts swarmed around in my head as my breathing became shallow. “Deal,” I croaked out.

 Joey smirks and releases my throat. I take in a big gulp of air as my lungs regain oxygen. He slips the baggie into my hands and pushes me backwards, signaling for me to leave.

 I walk out with my head hung low and my hands in my pockets.

 What have I gotten myself into?