Calls Tickets and Text Books

(Jacob POV)

"Noooooooo," she whines.

"Come on, this is the last page." I say putting the book in her lap.

"No all these numbers are giving me a headache." Jaida whines, knocking the book off her lap and onto the floor.

I roll my eyes. "Do you want to pass your math final or what?"

"Yessss," she pouts.

"Then study." I say placing the book in her lap again. She groans and pushes it on the floor again.

"I agree with Jay, it's break time." Alicia says closing her her notebook. We were supposed to be having a little study group at my house but we've only been studying for an hour and that was mostly flipping through pages. I roll my eyes and go back to my text book, if I want to get into a good college I need to pass these finals.

Jaida uses her foot to kick my book onto the floor. I shoot her a glare as she laughs at me. I grab her foot and drag her across the couch towards me.

"Why must you torment me?" I ask her leaning over her to look her in the eyes.

She laughs and pulls on my hair. "Cuz it's funny when you're annoyed."

Rolling my eyes I pick up my book and put it on the table. Jaida's phone buzzes with a text and she reaches for it. I snatch it and sit on it. She laughs, still laying on her back and reaches out for it.

"Come onnnnn gimme my phone. It's probably Tamara." She says.

"What's so important that she text you every ten minutes?" I ask her.

"She needs me in her time of need." Jaida responds.

Ray sucks his teeth from his spot on the floor. "Time of need? Aint nothing wrong with her except she's stubborn, just like Autumm said."

Jaida sits up and gives him a glare. "She's recovering from being shot, Ray. It's been a tough week for Tamara. Have you heard the things people are saying around school? Besides, she's the one that got cheated on, she has a right to be stubborn."

A week after Tamara got out the hospital and Chris got arrested, rumors started swirling around school. Someone said that Tamara was in the hospital because Chris punched her in the face and that's why he's in jail. Others said that Tamara got pregnant by Chris and had a miscarriage while Chris went to jail for vandalizing a store. That one was just stupid.

No one knew the truth but our circle of friends and that's how we kept it. If they want to think that Chris got arrested for banging the principals younger daughter then let them, it's none of their business to know the truth anyway.

Ray shrugs. "That's true but I think she's being a little extra. Doesn't she see all the shit Chris went through for her? If he really had feelings for Autumn he wouldn't have risked his life for Tamara."

"So you wouldn't be mad if Alicia cheated on you after one day?" Jacob asks raising his eyebrows.

Ray glances over at Alicia. "Yeah but if she risked her life for me I'd put on my big boy boxers and get over it."

"Sorry Ray I don't think you can fit big boy boxers yet." Jaida says. We laugh as Ray gives her a stank face and rolls his eyes.

Jaida turns back to me. "Give me my phone n*gga."

I shoot her a glare. "I'm also mexican so it's mexigga to you."

"Mexican, n*gga, blexican whatever you wanna call yourself. Just hand over my phone ChiChi."

"What in the flying hell is a Chichi?" Ray asks glancing at us.

"Just...don't even." I say tossing Jaida her phone.

Alicia sits up and stretches. "Have anything to eat. Like chips, cookies...something?"

"Hmm that depends. Do you like vegetable sticks?" I ask.

She makes a face. "Um, no."

"Then no." I say shrugging.

Ever since my mom got out the hospital she's been on a health kick. Her time in the hospital scared her so much that she hired a personal trainer to help her maintain a healthy lifestyle. Every morning he comes over and takes her out for a jog before she goes to work. Our cabinets have transformed from cookies and poptarts to wheat bread and trail mix. I'm trying to support her in her new health mission but i'm really starting to miss my sugary snacks.

Just then my mother comes down stairs wearing a light blue dress that flowed down to her ankles with wedge sandals. She had sunglasses perched on her head and her hair is pulled into a neat bun.

"Oooh, who's eye candy are you trying to be, mama perez?" Jaida asks admiring her. My mother blushes and smooths down her dress.

"That doctor from the hospital, Vincent, is taking me out for a little while." She says glancing out the window. I tense a little. My mom..going out..with a guy...on a date?

"Ay dios mio, nooo mami. He's a creep." I say, walking over to her. "He snuck you home cooked meals and gave you back massages at the hospital. Patient and doctor relationships are not supposed to go that far. No me gusta."

She flicks my forehead and I flinch. "Don't be rude chico. He took really good care of me in the hospital. We've talked alot on the phone since then."

I make a face. "Ew, like phone sex?" My mother shoots me a look and I hold my hands up in surrender. "Just curious."

"Stop being nosey." Jaida says. "At least Vincent takes her out on dates."

I give her a blank look. "You wanna go out? How does McDonalds sound?"

"Actually pretty good." Ray says. I roll my eyes and a horn beeps outside. My mother looks out the window then gives me a quick kiss on the cheek.

"I'll see you later. Don't reck the house, lock the door if you leave and use protection." She says quickly. I could feel my eyes get wide at that last part and she winks at me before leaving. Shaking my head I shut the door and lock it.

"Use protection sweetie." Alicia says in a motherly voice, laughing with Ray. I look at Jaida who's shaking her head as she stares at her phone. I go to the little hall closet and take out two outfits, then stand in front of Jaida.

"Which one do you like?" I ask her.

"Um, what's the difference?" She asks, confusion all over her face.

"One is a tux and the other is a suit. A tux is fancier than a suit." I explain. Jaida, Alicia and Ray all exchange a lost look.

"Umm ok, but what's the occasion?" She asks.

I set down the suit and tux on the stair railing and take plop down on the couch with Jaida. Without answering her I dig in my pocket and take out the two prom tickets I bought before lunch today. I dangle them in front of her phone screen and she grabs them in excitement.

"We're going to prom!?" She exclaims excitedly, a smile growing on her face.

"Yeah, why wouldn't we?" I ask her. She shrugs and looks down at the tickets.

"I know parties isn't exactly your thing."

I shrug. "They're not but I know you wanted to go and I'll be damned if I let some other n*gga take you."
Jaida starts laughing. "You going hood on me now?"

"OG." I say, running my hands through my hair. She looks at me doubtfully and I lick my lips and toss a smirk. She covers her face and burst out laughing. A pen soars over my head and hits the wall, I look at Ray and find him looking at me in disgust.

"Don't ever do that again." He says to me. Alicia slaps him in the back of his head and he flinches. "Ow, damn."

"When are you gonna ask me to prom?" Alicia snaps at him.

"I was about to ask you but since you wanna beat on me I'm thinkin about returning these tickets and getting my money back." He says shooting her a dirty look. "You know it's tough out here. We in a recession girl."

"They're non-refundable." I mention to him.

He throws his hands up in the air. "Aww hell." Alicia shoots him a smug look and he laughs handing her a ticket. "You knew I was gonna ask you Leesh. What kind of boyfriend would I be if I didn't?"

Alicia smiles and admires her blue and gold ticket as my phone rings. I see that it's Craig and answer it. "Wassup,"

"Hey," he says. "This a three way with Chris."

"Chris is on the line too?" I ask. Jaida, Alicia and Ray snap their heads up to look at me.

"Wassup puff daddy?" Chris says. His voice sounded a little hoarse but I was just happy to hear from him. I put the phone on speaker and Alicia, Ray and Jaida crowd around me.

"Chris yo, wassup boy?" Ray says to him. "How you holdin up?"

Chris sucks his teeth. "I'm in jail Ray, I'm holdin on by a thread. I need to get out of this place,I feel cluster phobic."

"Want me to bust you out bro, I know a guy that knows a guy." Craig says. We laugh a little but Craig is silent. "No really I'm serious."

"Nah man," Chris says. "That will just cause more trouble that I don't need right now."

"You aint get raped or nothin right? Dont drop the soap bro, grip that shit like it's your life." Ray says. Chris laughs a little.

"They not bout that life in here man. I mean one or two tried to touch me and let's just say they're gonna leave jail with more cuts and bruises than they came in here with." Chris says, I could already imagine the cocky smile on his face.

"Aww Chris, we miss you." Jaida says pouting.

"Yeah, things are definitely not the same without you." Alicia says.

Chris laughs a little. "Yeah well, ya'll will get used to it. Thing just aren't as fun without me causin trouble right? Just make sure Jacob and Ray treat ya'll right. I wouldn't want to lay them out when I get released."

I laugh and roll my eyes. "I'm shaking in my afro." Chris chuckles and sighs heavily.

"Yeah...so how's Tamara doing?" He asks us. I could hear the worry in his voice.

"She's alright...I guess. Like I said things are way different without you." Alicia responds.

"Yeah I bet. Next time you see her tell her again that I'm sorry and that I lo--."

"Time's up Chresanto." We hear a deep, raspy voice say.

"Ow, what the---" Chris yells so loudly that it made all of us jump. There were three loud thuds then the line goes dead.