Let Me Tell You

"So...Seperate rooms you two?" Timothy asked once he had got them to where they would be staying.

Julian looked at Emmaline. "Separate rooms, Doctor?"

"Yes, Mr Lennon" She answered, "we need to get your side healed for good this time!"

"So a little bit of snuggle time won't help the healing process?" He tried, pouting like a little boy, even trying the old 'puppy dog eyes' on her.

She gave him a gentle smack on the arm with the closed oriental fan she was holding. "You cheeky, cheeky man!" 

"You carry an oriental fan on you, Emmaline?" Julian asked, "it's winter here..."

"It belonged to my mother, Elizabeth, Julian!" She informed him. "I never travel without it!" 

"It's stunning!" Timothy admired. "Looks old!"

"It has been in my family for over sixty years, Mr White!" Emmaline said proudly. "It is a rare, antique export Chinese carved wood, hand painted fan with a mythological scene, it's Perseus and Andromeda. It was painted by a Chinese artist for the European market. My father bought it for my mother."

"And just how old is it really?" Julian asked.

"We believe the 1800's, Qing Dynasty...so late eighteenth-early nineteenth century."

"So, did your Mom give it to you?" Timothy asked.

 "Sadly no, Timothy," Emmaline said. "My Mum passed away in childbirth and my Father passed away twenty years ago. I've been without my parents since I was thirty."

"My... apologies..." he fumbled "I am so sorry for your loss Doctor...You and Julian have a similar but different backstory"

"Raised by one parent, yes and that one parent remarrying yes, but that's about it, Timothy!" Emmaline set him straight.

"Even so..." he shrugged "something to bond over!" 

"We seem to be 'bonding okay' Timothy," Julian said, smiling at Emmaline. For some reason, she was holding onto his left pinkie as she stood beside him. "Can we get settled into our rooms now? I would kill for a good lie down!"  

"Oh yes! Absolutely!" He agreed, "this way, you two!"  

*

Their rooms were conveniently side by side, Timothy had planned so if Julian needed Emmaline she didn't have to waste her time running through the house to get to him.  

"How's the best way to call you if I need you, Emmaline?" He asked as he was comfy on the bed he would be sleeping in.

"If it's late at night or during the day, just call out Julian. If you need me because something's not right, or you're in pain or you need something, just call out to me, I will hear you and if I don't I'm sure Timothy will!" She reassured him.

"But what if I get too needy or pushy or bossy?" He asked, biting his lip.

She smiled "Then I will certainly tell you! You know how I work, Mr Lennon. I am not here to coddle you I am here to help you! There is a difference!"

He chuckled "remember when you helped me out to get some fresh air in the hospital back in Cairo?"

"Yes, ' I'm feeling really tired, can you get me a wheelchair Doctor?' I saw straight through that Mr Lennon!" 

"That would have worked on any other woman working in that hospital but you!" He told her.

She stood in the doorframe, her arms crossed, a smug look on her face." Yes, you've learnt! My Father instilled in me to always try to do things myself, but would help me if I really needed it!"