Oh! Darling

She woke, hours later.

Stretching, she looked around to find Julian nowhere in sight.

On the coffee table in front of her was a jar of freshly picked flowers, and a small feast, enough to keep them both going.

Snacks and treats, drinks and a bowl of popcorn, still hot, freshly popped, everything for a marathon.

Gotham was paused, where he had turned it off.

She stole a few pieces of popcorn and went to resume watching Gotham when voices stopped her.

"I can't believe you would lose your shit over a little thing like Gotham! That show is the sickest, deadliest, best show lately brother and YOU were just being an insecure, jerk!'

"Yes, thank you, Sean!" Julian growled. "But that's the point, it's sick, it's deadly, it's poison! And in case you haven't realised yet, I did tell you didn't I? Someone, slashed her across the face with a steak knife, in a restaurant, in the middle of Brisbane! In an upscale restaurant called Lennon's Restaurant and Bar..."

"Fuck..." Sean breathed. "I did hear something on the news...Jules, I am sorry, don't let her watch that show!"

"That's my problem, Sean, I came here as a guest in her home. Sean, it's been so LONG since I've been in a serious relationship! I am so used to living on my own, doing my own thing! And I'm scared if I try and stop her from doing what she wants, she'll turn her back on me!"

"I can understand why you turned Gotham off Julian" Came Emmaline's voice.

He looked up at once, "I gotta go, brother"

"Hi, Sean!" She called with a smile.

"Hello, Doctor!" He said back, grinning. "Don't take any crap from my brother!"

She smiled still. "Actually Sean, I am very happy that your brother is here. It gets very, very lonely in this big old house sometimes, I mean I have a dog, but..."

He smiled "You can't marry your dog, no matter how faithful he is!"

"He is a 'She', her name is Mawko and she is a Siberian Husky and no as much as I love and adore her, I've been craving for a man for years!"

"Well, you got one now in your house, I will leave you both in peace! Toodles!" Sean said, grinning then he hung up.

Julian eyed her, there was something primal in his eyes, that look when a man wanted a woman, and he could tell by the look in her eyes that she felt the same.

"Have I told you how beautiful you are?" He asked her.

She had begun to smile "Yes, you have, Mr Lennon...but tell me again!"

*

A police officer guided him to sit down.

"I don't see why I need to be handcuffed!" He said, "I don't see what the fuss is all about!"

"You don't see what all the fuss is about..." the detective handling the investigation mimicked.

"No...I mean, it wasn't that bad!" Emmaline's attacker said.

The detective was a cunning and powerful man, he could make any suspect talk and most of the time he never had to use threats or force.

"Really?" He said, taking a seat directly across from him. "Try, over twenty stitches in a doctor's face! A bloody doctor for Christ's sake! Have you got anything against Dr Hatchford?"

The attacker was a middle-aged man, fairly plump and was sweating.

"I have a set against her yes, a vendetta almost..."

The detective remained calm but almost looked surprised.

"And what did she do to your family?" He asked.

"It wasn't her...it was her Father," The attacker said.

*

They decided to take a walk together. It was a beautiful day.

"Can I tempt you in a cruise up and down our Brisbane River?" She asked him as they strolled along.

"Have we dressed appropriately? It is a fancy cruise?" He asked, holding her hand.

"No, it's via our City Cats, it's only a few dollars to go up and down, I thought we might like to go to Southbank, they have a Chocolate place there!"

He smiled at her "hmm....chocolate?"

"Nothing like your favourite chocolate souffle, but I hope it comes close!" She told him with a smile.

They left Mawko at home as she wasn't allowed on the City Cat nor was she allowed in the shops.

He smiled at her like a teenager in love, lifted her hand he was holding and gave it a soft, tender, sweet kiss.

"I honestly believe that I am the luckiest man on earth!" He told her as they headed to the terminal, where a City Cat was waiting. "I know it sounds twisted and sick but, I am kind of glad I got attacked in Luxor...then I never would have met you!"

She smiled as she used her go card to touch on, he had to go inside the cabin and pay for his fare, until they got him a go card as well.

"It's a beautiful day, shall we enjoy the river on the deck?" She asked.

He smiled as she gently rubbed his scar.

The City Cat cruised quickly down the river.

"There are four terminals til Southbank," She told him, there was a white adhesive patch over her cheek, her lip was smeared in an ointment. "We can stop and I will take you to one of the best places to indulge, then we can continue on down the river and I can show you my favourite spots!"

He smiled and lent in to softly kiss her uncut cheek.

"Dr? Dr Hatchford?" Came a voice, it was soft and feminine.

Julian instantly moved to protect her.

"I mean the Doctor no harm" A woman of about seventy said. "She is a hero and a good Samaritan!"

"Alice?" Emmaline said a smile on her face. "Julian, I saved Alice's daughter's life, about twenty years ago"

"I am sorry a monster did this to you, Doctor," She said to her. "Why does it always have to be one that has to ruin it?"

"I will be back at the Brisbane Private once my face has healed," she told Alice.

"Aren't you scared?" She asked.

"A little, but I can't go into hiding forever, he would have won then"

"Is this your husband?" Alice asked.

Emmaline smiled "no, this is Julian, he's a close friend of mine"

Alice smiled again, "I was rather hoping he was your husband, you truly do deserve to find the love of your life!"

Emmaline smiled "no, he is not my husband but he is a worthwhile, trustworthy, honest suitor!"

Alice's eyes widened in excitement and joy, and the look on Julian's face, he had never felt so hopeful and overjoyed.

Emmaline was falling for him.

All he wanted to do was kiss her, kiss her so passionately.

"Oh, Darling," He said, looking at her with nothing but pure love in his eyes.