The Saints

"Not the Rolls this morning, Your Excellency?" Clayton queried.

"No, Clayton, I will not rock up to my daughter's possible future school, and cause a big fuss!" She made it clear "the Holden Caprice will do!" 

"Are you enrolling me today, Mum?" She asked, dressed in a pretty purple dress down to her knees.

She was overjoyed with her full wardrobe. 

"We're hoping to my Sweet" Julian said as he came into their private suite.

"The principal will meet with us at nine, that should give me plenty of time to get back and get to Parliament House before eleven" Emmaline said to her husband.

It had been a week since Gracie had come to Fernberg and being a naturally curious child, she had explored every inch of the house and grounds that she was allowed to.

Her parent's suite was perhaps one of her favourite spots in the house.

Downstairs wasn't as personal as upstairs, it was more formal and historical.

On her Father's bedside table was a double photo frame.

"Who is that beautiful lady with you Dad?" She asked, gazing at the photos "She must mean a lot to you?!"

He smiled "She was and is my everything little Gracie! She is the reason I am the man I am today!"

"But she's not Mum...isn't Mum your everything?"

"Emmaline is my everything now, but for nearly fifty-two years, that lady, my mother Cynthia Lennon was my everything, my rock, my world, I lost her four years ago"   

"I bet you miss her very, very much Dad," she said quietly. Her own mother and father had died when she was just two, in very tragic circumstances. 

"I think of Mum every single day Gracie," he said as she hopped up on her Dad's side of the bed.

"I can't really remember mine," she said, "Sally said she and Dad were killed in a car accident. I wasn't in the car..."

That was a lie, Sally hadn't told her the complete truth. She hadn't told her new parents the complete truth either.

"Gracie darling, we really should get going," Emmaline said checking her watch.

*

"Amanda gave me a call last night, she flies into Brisbane tomorrow," Julian said to his wife as they waited for the Principal to come and greet them.

"New and exciting stuff happening with the foundation?" She asked.

"Yes, big, big things!" He said his eyes lighting up. "She suggested I meet her in the city somewhere to talk over lunch."

"Why not have her come to Fernberg?" She frowned.

"Are you jealous, wife?" He asked. "Want to keep an eye on me?"