The Fool On The Hill

The subtle sound of the alarm on Emmaline's bedside table woke them both up gently. It wasn't blaring nor annoying it was just enough to wake them from their slumber.

They were still snuggled up from the night before, Julian still laying on top of her.

She gently ran his fingers through his dishevelled hair with a smile on her face.

"Good Morning, my darling!" She purred, giving him his morning kiss.

She loved the way he tasted, any time of the day.

He smiled back, gently, softly kissing her quite a few times. "And good morning to you, Sweetness!" 

Then he craned his head around to look straight at the still closed bedroom doors.

She began to laugh at his paranoia. "Clayton knows we're getting up now to take our first daily morning walk, dear. We should be right to get dressed, now out of bed you! Let's get a move on!"  

But as much as she tried to push him off of her, he wouldn't budge, at all.

He grinned, deliberately being dead weight so he could watch her grunt and struggle to push him off of her. 

"You've become increasingly bossy since becoming Governor of Queensland, Dr Hatchford!" He said, with a grin. "And you haven't actually been sworn in yet, you realise?"

She wrapped her arm around his neck, pulled his head down towards her lips and began to kiss him repeatedly, not just his lips but all over his face.

"Don't butter me up, Doctor!" He teased whilst thoroughly enjoying her affections.

 Before she could bite back, three gentle taps on the door could be heard.

"Ma'am, Sir it's now five minutes past six, are you awake? You mentioned to the Commodore you wanted to start your morning walks today!" Stella's voice could be heard.

"Yes, we're awake and about to get up Stella, thank you!" Emmaline called.

"When you get back Ma'am. Breakfast out on the verandah? It's a lovely sunny morning!"

"Yes, please Stella, that would be lovely!" She answered.

When she was gone Julian smiled down at her, still pinning her down and said, "you have them all wrapped around your little finger don't you??"

"Oh, I wouldn't say that Julian dear, I'm just a humble doctor!"

"That's about to be sworn in as the 27th Governor of Queensland, and take it as a compliment Sweetness, you don't treat them as if they're below you and I think that's what will help us last here! Now, are we going for our walk?" Then he rolled off of her.

"Oh, Lennon!" She laughed hugging him "I love you!"

*

 Miss Mawko barked and howled excitedly and went down on her front paws, bum up in the air shaking it enthusiastically when she saw Emmaline and Julian come downstairs.

"Walkies girl? Walkies!" Julian cooed lovingly to which the Husky barked and spun around, her nails scratching on the tiled floor.

The couple with the dog leading headed out the front door and down the driveway to begin their walk.

Clayton watched them wander down the path through the bushland from up on the back verandah.

"How full is the Governor's schedule today Commodore?" Stella asked, coming to stand beside him.

He smiled "Her Excellency is not around my dear, nor does she know, no need to call me Commodore!"

She smiled and gently clutched his hand "Oh, my darling, I really think they're going to do great, great things!"