Say You're Wrong

"So, tell me your full name," The detective said bluntly.

"Damien Jonathan Brooks," he said clearly.

"And Damien, let's start from the very beginning, here's a question, what did Dr Robert Hatchford do to you, to make you slash his daughter's face in cold blood?" 

Damien sighed, the painful memories coming back to him.

"I was only a boy when she died" he sobbed. "My Mother, Detective, had heart problems, it runs in the Brooks family. She had to have a triple bypass and Dr Robert Hatchford was the best heart surgeon in the city, the state, the COUNTRY!"

The detective listened intently.  

"Let me guess, your Mother's surgery..."

"My Mother never made it off the operating table, because of Dr Hatchford!" Damien snarled, "and when it came for my father to have the same operation...after losing his wife...he was damned if he would let Robert Hatchford cut him open, so by the time I was ten, my parents were both dead! He was intoxicated on the job. His breath reeked of Gin....his favourite I heard was Morus LXIV, distilled from the leaves of an ancient Mulberry tree and is bottled at a cask strength of 64% alc/vol. Each leaf is hand-harvested and individually dried before being blended with botanicals and distilled. It is recommended served with a drop of water to release the full flavour of the gin, along with a woody sweetness and intense juniper" Damien said, never taking his eyes off the detective. "Oh and did I mention back then, it was over seven thousand dollars a bottle? Is that all my Mother's life was worth? hmm?"

The detective cleared his throat and leaned forward over the table, separating them. 

"You mentioned that this Gin was distilled from the leaves of an ancient Mulberry tree?" He said calmly.

Damien smiled, it was a wicked smile "that's right!"  

The detective grinned and sat back, interlocking his fingers in front of him. "I HATE liars, Mr Brooks!" 

 *

They finally reached the Southbank terminal.

"I REALLY need to get myself one of those go cards, they make everything so much easier!" He said to her as they walked up the ramp and onto the pathway along the river. "Your Brisbane River is a little dirty!" 

"Yes" she observed the brownness of the water, "it's not a crystal clear beach that's for sure!" 

He looked across the river over at the CBD.

"Where were you attacked?" He asked. "Where is this Lennon's?" 

"Straight across down Queen Street Mall, I can take you there later if you wish?" She told him.

"I'd rather beat the shit out of the fucking coward..."  He muttered to himself.

She heard him, but all she did was gently rub his hand. "I know you're furious Julian, but justice will be served, the detective handling the investigation was a good friend of my Father's."

 He looked at her "furious is an understatement, but we are here to enjoy ourselves...you mentioned a chocolate place?"

*

Damien was now sweating. "Wh...why would you...you think that I am lying?" He stammered.

The detective grinned still. "Mulberry, Gin? Dr Robert Hatchford, HATED gin and wouldn't go near a mulberry even if you paid him a million dollars you see, he hated mulberries as well, and if you think that a renowned heart surgeon would drink on the job...then you are a delusional man! So, let us start again....why did you slash Dr Emmaline Hatchford's face? And by the way...don't you EVER drag my good friend's name through the mud AGAIN! Now, where were we?"