The Long and Winding Road

Julian came down the stairs and wandered leisurely out to the verandah, he was feeling proud of himself for his plan coming together.

Emmaline was going to absolutely love her surprise, he was sure of it.

When he came to the door, Mark noticed and stood up.

"Hello, Julian" he greeted him, offering his hand to the musician.

 "Hello Mark, how are you?"Julian said in reply, then he moved to give his Sweetness a kiss. "Have you patched things up with Emmaline? I hope you're on the straight and narrow now!" 

He had to well and truly accept that Julian was in her life now, for good and if he hurt her again he'd have to face Julian and the consequences that would follow.

"Yes, Julian I am, I spent far too many years being a pretty shit brother and hurting my dear Emmy in the process, I know now, that I never should have married Amelia, had I known who she was and that she is Tilly's sister, not to mention Zosar's doings..."

"Zosar's doings are unforgivable Mark! MURDER!" She chipped in on the men's discussion.

 Julian snaked his arm around her waist and gently rubbed her back, kissing her forehead.

"I know Sis, and I never meant to bring anything up that causes you pain, Harvey wouldn't want to you be so sad!" 

"Yes, but Mark, Harvey isn't here is he?" She said, feeling the tears welling up. "I can't do this! I can't be strong and be the Queen's representative for Queensland!"

"Mark, I think it would be best if you left!" Julian said, stepping in.  

He nodded at the older man and took his subtle hint to leave.

"Darling, I think we need to think about getting someone in you can talk to!" He said, "now, it can't wait! Do you know anyone in the counselling sector that you recommend?" 

She didn't answer him instead she hit him with questions. "Am I weak for talking to a quack? To a counsellor?"

"I would rather have you talk to someone than me having to bury you, Emmaline!" Came his answer, putting his foot down. "And for the record, you are doing an excellent job as Governor! You can't give it up! You have Anzac day coming up, the dawn service where you've been so excited and proud to be working on your speech with me and with Clayton! We have a State Dinner tonight, with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and did I hear that the Duchess would like one of the puppies of Miss Mawko and Winston? AND I didn't want to say this yet, but I have a surprise for you next month!"     

She looked up at him as he wiped her tears away gently with a soft tissue. 

"A surprise? What for?" She asked.

"Because I love you and adore you!" He said to her, kissing her.

"Will I like this surprise?" She asked her mind off of her troubles.

"I can guarantee you, Sweetness, you will LOVE it!"He said, holding her.

"Can you call this number Julian, it's a good friend of mine, he's a counsellor at the Wesley." She said, "get him to come over now if he can" 

Julian was already putting the number into his phone. 

"He called me after Harvey passed away telling me to call him anytime, and at least I know him and won't be talking to a complete stranger!" She said. "I'll go and tell Clayton, oh and his name is Dr Samuel Rogers, but he prefers to be called Sam!" 

*

Tilly saw Mark leave as she stood across the road straight in front of Government House. She had to get Emmie to talk to her, somehow...

"Are you here for the auction, Miss?" Came a voice to her left.

"I beg your pardon? Auction? For what?" She asked, then she saw it. The beautiful old white Queenslander directly across from Fernberg was for sale.

"It's a sign!" She said to herself, "yes Sir, I am here for the auction, how much do you think it will go for?"

"Oh it's listed for nearly two million, but could go way over," He said, "I'm Josh Stone, by the way, pleased to meet you...."

"Leilah Crowder," She said taking his hand and smiling. If she bought this property she would be as close to Emmie as she could get.

"Leilah, that's a very pretty name, well this is Paddington, the home was built in 1951,  five bedrooms, five bathrooms, three-car spaces and it's a 1,634m². Why don't you wander in and have a look before the auction starts in twenty minutes" he said as he handed her a brochure. "Oh and a little bit of info, the property is directly across from one of the driveways of the majestic Fernberg, Queensland's Government House home to our new Governor, Her Excellency Dr Emmaline Lennon, and her spouse Julian, the son of John Lennon, from the Beatles!"

"Did she marry Julian?" Tilly asked. Her best friend could have gotten married and didn't tell her, let alone have her in the bridal party. 

"I couldn't tell you to be honest, but her name went from Hatchford to Lennon, it is possible!" He said. 

*

Sam arrived at Fernberg as soon as he could.

"Emmie darling, let's talk!" He said as they greeted him in The Foyer "and is this Julian?" 

 "Yes, this is my Julian!" She said, looking up at him with love and devotion in her eyes

He shook Julian's hand "you are a very lucky man to finally capture our Emmie's heart! Good stuff! It's been a long time coming Julian, a long time!"  

She smiled as the two men got along, "shall we talk over a refreshing drink, Sam?" 

*

Tilly stood with a crowd of other people as the auction got underway.

 "Good afternoon everyone, welcome to the beautiful 175 Fernberg Road, this beautiful property is an Iconic Paddington Queenslander built in 1951 and is directly across from one of the two driveways of Queensland's Government House, Fernberg. So who will start the bidding at $500,000?" 

*

"So Emmaline, how are you doing?" Sam asked.

Julian sat with them out on the verandah, taking in the atmosphere, and he could just hear the faint sounds of the auction, they had been informed of it. 

"I sometimes feel as if I just can't deal with losing Uncle Harvey, Sam and the last thing I want to do is neglect my duties as Governor, I mean what if people start saying I'm a horrible Governor?" She opened up to him.

"People can talk Emmie, but you shouldn't listen, I believe you were born to do this darling!" He said. "But in regards to Harvey, I know how hard his death hit you, it has knocked you down, but don't be afraid to take the time to go and talk to him either in a place that is familiar to you, calming to you, personal to you or even at the cemetery, I know your schedule is busy but Emmaline, take the time! Next, I know you haven't been Governor for long, but take a few days off and go somewhere, somewhere that means a lot to you and Julian where you can remember Harvey."  

She nodded, taking in his advice.

*

"Ladies and gentlemen, this amazing property, going once, going twice, sold for 2.75 million, to the lady at the back!" Josh said with a smile as he pointed his rolled-up brochure at Tilly.

She grinned happily. 

She was now as close to Emmie as she could get. 

Things were looking up.