Invisible

"Who honestly has a party in the middle of the week?" Julian asked Emmaline as he slipped on his jacket.

 "My sister in law" She answered, putting her earrings on. 

Because it was a Great Gatsby theme, she had chosen to wear a beautiful black and emerald, 1920's flapper dress, with a sequined peacock on the front and back, Her accessories were all bought online, and had no value to them

Mia got catty when she saw her wearing her Mother's antique jewels, especially her three strands of pearls accented with a stunning ruby.

"Step sister in law" Julian added.

"I've been thinking, it might be a bad idea if we do end up going" She confided in him.

He gave her his attention. "Is everything okay, my Emmaline?" 

"I just feel we're invited only because of you!" She said, knowing her brother's wife all too well.

He gave her a smile "it's New Year's Eve, Emmaline. Even if Mia decides to use me to 'boost' her party, I only want to see the new year in with one person...you!"

*

The exterior of the beach villa looked amazing. 

"Fuck me..." Julian breathed "if this is their new home, what the fuck did it cost??" 

"That's what I don't want to know!" Came her reply.

"What do they do for a living?" He asked.

''He's in the medical field like me, he's an Anesthesiologist, this year he pulled in a quarter of a million!" She told him. "He thinks he makes more than me but my yearly income, is just a little more!" 

"Have you two ever worked together?" He asked.

"Oh God no!" She snapped "I'd kill him! Besides, I'm a doctor, not a surgeon!" 

 "And what does she do?" 

"Absa-fucking-lutely nothing!" Emmaline growled, spotting the petite blonde welcoming her guests into the brand new house.