[prologue]

(y/n's pov)

My playlist plays out loud next to me as I start carefully applying my lipstick while dancing around a little, sitting in front of my mirror already in my red dress and favorite heels.

Immediately after pressing my lips together and making a stupid duckface at myself in my string-light rimmed mirror, I start singing along to the current song and pointing at my reflection, dedicating myself the cute lyrics since no one else did and hadn't done for a while.

No lie, I miss having someone to be a romantic with, but tonight isn't about remembering and getting all nostalgic. Tonight is about forgetting and having a good time. God knows how desperately I need both of those things right now.

It's been a rough month, with work starting to get heavy and my brother's wedding coming up around the corner. My boss expects me to be focused and give one-hundred percent fifty hours a week, while my family expects me to be there and put that same energy towards the ceremony. There's only so much I can handle at once.

The bar is the only place I can forget about everything else and just escape my stressful reality. It's the only place I feel sane, even if I don't remember ninety percent of what happens in there.

Kaseok's Beer Bar. The place my family hates so damn much—because of the speculations. It also happens to be the closest bar to my humble apartment and is also pretty cheap. Nothing's happened to me so far, so why should I listen to them and stop going?

I'm a young adult, I know what I'm doing.

Suddenly, my music cuts off right in the middle of one of my favorite songs and the tune is replaced with my brother's ringtone. Oh, great.

"Yes, hello?" I answer, holding my phone in between my ear and my shoulder while I reach over to the edge of my vanity to grab my purse so I could put my lipstick in for later touch ups. "What's up, Jaeyoung?"

"Hey, Y/N. You doing anything tonight?" He asks. I can hear the sound of music in the background accompanied by laughter and lots of talking. Hm. Must be another gathering I'm being last-minute invited to.

"Actually, yes." I answer, not even feeling bad about turning him down when it comes to these things anymore. He only invites me out of pity and moral obligation anyway, and because he's my big brother and he has to love me. He knows more than anyone that I don't really like those types of things, especially if I didn't make the top guest list.

"Oh. You do?" Jaeyoung's tone sounds a bit surprised, it almost insulted me. "And what is it that you are doing? If I may know,"

"Y'know, I'd rather not tell you." I shake my head, standing up out of my mauve chair and looking myself in the mirror one last time.

"Goddammit, you're going to that damn place again, aren't you—?" His tone turns immediately annoyed and stern. I simply roll my eyes. "Y/N, what the fuck did I tell y—?!"

"Jaeyoung, I don't have time for this." I cut him off, feeling a headache start to creep up on me just listening to him start nagging. I've heard those words too many times to count. "We're not kids anymore, I don't have to listen to you."

"I'm just looking out f—!"

"You're just looking out for me, yeah, I get it. You've said this to me five trillion and one times already." I soften up my tone, remembering he's just being annoying because he cares about me. "Look, I love you Jay, I really do. I'll be fine. Nothing's ever happened to me before, why should tonight be different?"

"Y/N," Jaeyoung exhales, slightly frustratedly. Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to hang up and continue on with my plans tonight. "Please, I don't want anything to—"

"I'll be careful, I promise." I smile assuredly, even if he can't see me. "Love you, Jay. I'll see you tomorrow when I go drop off your floral plans, alright? Say hi to Daessi for me."

"No—Y/N, don't you dare h—!"

[Call ended.]

"Whiskey time." I smile, sliding my phone into my purse and heading out the front door. Some of my neighbors look at me for a little too long as I walk passed them in the hall, but I pay no mind to them. I guess they're not used to seeing me this 'dressed up.' Probably because I rarely try to look nice.

"Woah—where you going Y/N?" Kyungsoo—a friend and neighbor from a few doors down the hall—asks me as I come out of the elevator while he was about to step inside.

"Wouldn't you like to know," I grin, walking passed him out into the lobby towards the building entrance. "See you around, Soo."

I didn't turn to see him smile back at me and shake his head while his eyes looked me up and down as I walked away, but I knew he did it. He always does. I just walk out of the building and find my car in the parking garage, looking up at the sky and admiring the way it began to turn orange while behind the buildings, it blended into purple.

Getting into my car, I feel a good feeling wash over me just knowing my problems will disappear soon—at least, temporarily.

Kaseok's is only a five minute drive from here.