fifty six ; taehyung

(Alternate Ending: 2/7)

Several weeks later.

"Hey, uh—I was meaning to ask you something." You say into your phone, walking down the busy downtown sidewalk. "You up for coffee? I'm a few-minute walk from the shop." You look up, seeing the familiar corresponding corner you must turn into made by the intersecting streets approaching in the distance. "I could really—" you sigh, "I could really use someone to talk to."

"Well, that depends." Kyungsoo's calming, deep voice says through your speaker. "Is your little security guard with you?" He asks. You let out a small, airy chuckle which condenses out into the cold air. He laughs with you. The sound of his comfort and familiarity makes your chest tighten up.

"No. Jiyeol isn't with me today." You answer, hating the way you begin to feel suffocated in your own lungs. "It took a lot, but I convinced him to take a day off." You lie. In reality, your 'security guard' doesn't know you left the house. Not that you owe him any explanations or anything for the matter, but he is in charge of keeping you and your anonymity alive. The thing is, in order to do so, he has to go with you everywhere outside the gates. That's become annoying. "It'd just be you and me."

"Good." Kyungsoo's soft voice replies. You can't see it, but you imagine the smile that those words came out of, and your lungs seem to close up even more. "That's good." He repeats. "I'll be there in a few minutes, I'm actually downtown right now, just finishing up. Don't stand me up, alright?"

"Why would I? I invited." You glance up at the blue winter sky with a small smile on your face. The clouds are sparse and the breeze is cold. The sun is out and all the people walk in coats and scarves. You admire the natural buzz of the city. "I hope it's you who doesn't stand me up."

"Oh, trust me," Kyungsoo almost mumbles, "it won't go down that way." He chuckles faintly. You furrow your brows and lean your ear closer to the small speakers being held up by your glove-covered hand. "Would you—um, would you mind staying on the line until we meet up?" He asks.

"You know I wouldn't mind." You answer sweetly. It feels wrong, what you're doing to him. You know you don't love him, and he knows that too. You don't know he knows, though. He's been here. All this time, he's been here. He's been your shoulder, your company, your friend, your benefit. He's been here. And your mind has always been elsewhere. It feels wrong. "Kyungsoo, I'm—"

I know.

"Where did you say you were again?" Kyungsoo interrupts, looking down at the monitor on his desk as the two blinking dots start getting closer and closer. He moves the phone away from his face and takes a deep breath.

EXO-12 [R: BT.TH]
10m::encrypted::29s

DO: Across the street you'll see a bakery.

"I—I'm almost at the corner." You answer, trying not to read into his quick cut-off more than necessary. Usually, when he senses you about to speak on something deep regarding the both of you, he tends to shut it down. That's how it's always been. That's how you work. And that's why you'll never truly work. You smile at a vendor as you walk by. "You know, by that little bakery."

EXO-12 [R: BT.TH]
11m::encrypted::20s

TH: are you sure?
DO: Trust me.
DO: Do you see it?
TH: hold on