XII - Dévoué

XII - Dévoué

Dévoué
/de.vwe/
adjective
having strong love or loyalty for something or someone; devoted

🍁

He couldn't move. It was as if someone struck him that moment. His deductions were somehow correct. It wasn't hard to have suspicions that it was her. He clearly remembered the waiter telling him that it was a girl who wears glasses that writes stuffs like this. She had also added that the deck they're currently perched on was her favorite spot. True it sounded crazy and it was like made out of pure coincidence but he wasn't stupid. Noah had always been quick witted. And he always knows how to prepare himself if something were to happen subsequently. But now, he didn't know what to do. Should he tell her? Should he tell her that she was responsible he was breathing right now? He honestly couldn't think straight. All he knows right at this moment is the utmost respect he have for this girl. There's this overwhelming feeling he feels deep in his chest. He could kneel and worship the ground she walked on, that kind of feeling.

"Noah?" She called. It was the third time she'd call his name, he still wasn't listening. "Noah?" She reached across the table and shook him a little and it was like someone put him under a spell and the instant she touched him it broke. He looked at her wide eyed.

"Yes love?" She went back to her seat.

"Are you okay? You weren't responding back." She asked worriedly.

"I-I'm fine." It was the first time she had heard him stutter. Something is clearly wrong here but he doesn't look like he wants to tell her.

"Are you sure? We could call it a night and go home."

"No!" He responded quickly and a little bit too loud. People began looking at them. He winced inwardly. "No. I'm sorry, I just zoned out for a little bit. I'm fine love." She believed him.

"Okay." She smiled at him causing him to smile back. She noticed one thing though. Where before he'd been looking at her like she was his sky now he was looking at her like she was the ground that keeps him on his feet. He was looking at her like she was some deity. Some goddess the greek mythology forgot to include in their books. She didn't know if she should be thankful or bothered. No one had ever looked at her like that before.

"I really want to get to know you." He blurted out.

"I'm not interesting."

"No, I think you are the most interesting person I've met." Why does she write these? He wanted to know.

She bit her lower lip, not knowing what to say. She was the most awkward and disinteresting person on the planet and the fact that he thinks otherwise is a mystery to her. "What is it that you wanted to know?"

"What's your name?" He leaned across the table looking right at her. She laughed. It was the sweetest sound he'd heard. "What's funny?"

"I think it's funny how we only know each other's first names. I'm Jessica Mahana Smith. My mother told me my second name was an anagram from a biblical character that actually wasn't included in the bible. I don't know what she meant. I still don't know a Mahana." She explained.

"I think it's a beautiful name. I don't know a Mahana either." They both laughed, happiness so shallow.

"What about you? What's your full name?" She asked and in return he cringed.

"You'll laugh at me." He warned.

"It couldn't be that bad." What could possibly be wrong with his full name?

He sighed. "Hello Jessica Mahana Smith." She smiled. "I'm Noah Arkwright."

No one spoke a word for a moment. He was waiting for her reaction while she was wondering what's wrong with his name. And then it dawned on her.