XXXIII - Slugabed

XXXIII - Slugabed

Slugabed
slug·abed
\ˈslə-gə-ˌbed\
noun
: a person who stays in bed after the usual or proper time to get up ; couch potato ; you

🍁

"Baby where are you?" He didn't even think, he sprinted outside of his office not caring if he has a meeting to attend in about five minutes. It felt like Deja Vu. Only this time, he had a feeling Jess was telling the truth.

He heard her spoke, telling him the address. "Okay. I'm coming love." She ended the call and he wondered what happened. What made his Jessica cry?

"Sir."

Whoever did it is dead. His face was void of any emotion as he walk towards the elevator.

"Mr. Arkwright?" A huffing secretary stopped him in his tracks. But he ignored him and entered the elevator. "You still have a meeting with Mr. Winslow Sir." The secretary politely informed him.

"Tell him the meeting is cancelled." His Jessica needs him more than anyone.

The elevator closed, leaving a gaping secretary behind. He'll probably break his skull trying to find out an excuse on why his boss is absent but Noah didn't care about all of that now. His girl needs him and he's always going to be there for her.

She had been sitting outside the building for twenty minutes, waiting for Noah. Silent tears came down her cheeks and she angrily wiped it away. It was her fault. She easily trusts people and this was the price. You get your heart broken. A hundred thoughts played on her head. Her book being read by other people with another author's name crushed her heart. It was meant for Noah only. It was his. She made it for him but now other people have already read it and it didn't sit well with her. She just hoped people would respect her decision. Maybe it's her face, or perhaps her attitude. They'd think she's naive and easy to convince. She is but her stand on making the book exclusive was firm and she never wanted it to share to anyone. Sniffing, she wiped her tears away. She didn't want him to see her like that when he arrives.

"Love." A very familiar voice called. She looked up and saw him striding close to her. But no matter how much she tried to keep her tears in, when she saw him her tears fell profusely. Not thinking, she ran towards him wrapping her arms around his waist while crying on his chest. "Noah."

Her voice sounded so broken and he hugged her tight, wanting to know what's wrong but he knows she can't speak now. "I-I want to go home. Take me home. Please." He hated it so much when she cries. The way her face scrunched up in pain and the way she sobbed with her broken voice sent twinges of pain in his heart.

"Okay, let's go home love." He scooped her up and brought her to his car. He fastened her seatbelt and kissed her head before sitting on the driver's seat.

The drive home was silent except for Jess' sniffs. She was trying hard not to cry anymore but the whole scenario played out in her head again and the reality of her gift for Noah being ruined sent her to a whole crying mess again.

He squeezed her hand, providing comfort. "We're almost home baby." He spoke, his voice gentle. But inside him, all he felt was pain for her and rage for someone who had done this to her. The asshole is going to die before he sees the sunrise.

Minutes later, they arrived at his penthouse. He insisted on carrying her. She only obliged because she was tired. She had a long and bad day, she only wrapped her arms around him while burying her face into the crook of his neck. Inhaling his familiar and comforting scent.

The doors to his penthouse opened and he sat her down the sofa in the living room. He took her shoes off. She didn't even have time to change into something. Right after her class ended she went straight to Kath to get her books but that didn't happen. Slowly, he massaged her calves and feet. He was still in his suit, he didn't bother changing into anything. He scooped her up and sat on the sofa, wrapping his arms around her while kissing her head. She sat on his lap, and he let her cry. And when her tears stopped, he finally asked the question he'd been dying to ask since he heard her call.