One

DEREK HALE HAD BEEN DECLARED MISSING.

Even though he became known to be distant and brooding, this disappearance was different. It's not that he was ignoring Scott's messages or even Sierra's. That wasn't out of the ordinary. What alerted everyone is that Derek was ignoring Jemma— something the werewolf never did.

If someone had asked Sierra over a year and half ago about Derek Hale, she'd probably curse the sour wolf under her breath and brush off the concern. But Derek was becoming part of her family, her pack, and he meant everything to her older sister. Which is why finding him quickly became a top priority.

Searching his loft brought little clues, like empty bullet casings with symbols Scott didn't recognize. The most of a deduction he could make is that it definitely was not Argent's work, more or less because the man decided to take another trip to Europe. Staying in Beacon Hills would've worsened the painful memories of losing his only daughter. He needed time to mend his heart, as did Isaac, who joined Argent's side.

Unfortunately for everyone else, no one knew another hunting family. Jemma had a theory but didn't give much information—claiming she didn't want to get her hopes up if she was wrong.

No one could really blame her. After Allison's and the rest of their friends' deaths, reality wasn't as bright for the remaining teenagers. The destruction Mizuki and the Nogitsune had brought into their lives was something they were still trying to recover from—especially Sierra.

She had time to mourn, keeping her promise to Allison by going to the cemetery when she could. Yet there were still days she never left Scott's side and clung to Stiles a little tighter at night, thanking the stars they hadn't been taken from her as well. Sierra wasn't the same as before; she had grown from the heartache and was more conscious of her decisions.

When Scott revealed they needed to go to Mexico, she was the main person he needed to win over. She pointed out valuable information, such as them walking in almost blind to the situation. Lydia couldn't determine for sure if Derek was even completely alive, and Sierra knew overall it could be a wild good chase. They only had had a few weeks of the remaining spring to focus on school before the whole situation arose, leading Sierra to argue that their futures can't suffer from continuously leaving school.

Every point she made was valid.

And Scott listened to her, he really did, because to him her opinion mattered. He would never make a decision without her input; their bond was too strong. But when he argued that Derek was worth it, giving his signature speech about saving everyone and mentioning Jemma, Sierra caved.

Jemma had been through enough. Derek made Jemma happy, and Sierra loved seeing her sister happy. Jemma deserved happiness more than anyone.

So they were going to Mexico the next morning, sparring the sheriff the details of the journey. He believed it was a simple camping trip, no harm and no foul. And Stiles was dead set on keeping his mind that way. He had always been protective over his father, but nearly losing him to the Darach opened his eyes a little wider. Stiles couldn't lose his dad. Not after he already lost his mom.

Watching over Sierra became even more critical than before. Stiles was well aware the girl could perfectly take care of herself, but that didn't mean his worry for her suddenly faded. Seeing her nearly die once again and going through the same mental fight he did, made him never want to let her go.

And at night, Stiles was reminded often why he was so overprotective of Sierra. That is when he saw her in her most vulnerable state; tears running down flushed cheeks, her chest heaving up and down from the fright of a nightmare. He held her when she needed that reminder she was okay, just as she held him when he scared himself awake.