Fifty-One

THE SUN STARTED TO SET IN BEACON HILLS, BUT THE NIGHT WAS ONLY BEGINNING.

Jemma rushed out of the hospital elevator, her arms stocked full of various types of medicine. Her feet moved briskly down the dim hallway and she ignored the tarp-covered walls as she found Melissa.

Begrudgingly, Jemma had left her little sister at the high school. The action felt wrong, Sierra only offering her a small smile and a reassuring pat on the arm before she climbed out of the car. Unlike Sierra, she couldn't read Theo's mind; she didn't know what the kid had planned. But she knew it wasn't good.

However, Jemma held true to her word and raced to help the nurse keep Hayden alive for as long as possible.

As soon as Jemma walked into the mid-renovated room, the stench of death made her nose crinkle. And it only grew stronger the closer she moved to Hayden.

The sophomore looked weak, her eyes barely able to flutter open upon Jemma's arrival. Her skin, once white, now looked yellow and random black patches sprouted along her arms and crawled up her neck.

Mason, who stayed at Hayden's side, looked beyond worried--which explained the other emotions filling the air. Melissa did too, but covered it better by staying focused as she set up a heart monitor.

"Shouldn't we be talking to one of the doctors?" Mason questioned as Jemma spread the materials on a random counter.

"As good as that idea is, it wouldn't help much," Jemma stated in reply.

Melissa nodded in agreement, working on getting another IV attached to Hayden. "She's right. Hayden isn't human anymore, and the doctors would treat her as such. We're going to do everything medically possible to save her while her body undergoes changes that aren't humanly possible."

"Is she dying?" Mason whispered, his voice thick.

Melissa exchanged a look with Jemma. Both adults knew the outcome of Hayden's situation; they had dealt with these problems for a long time. Mason, on the other hand, was just a kid. He only knew what Sierra and Scott wanted him to know.

"Yes," Jemma decided to be honest, but spoke gently. "There's a lot of mercury in her system, Mason. That alone does a lot of damage. The fact that she's still alive right now is shocking."

Mason looked at Melissa for confirmation, and the slight downward tilt of her head told him everything. He blew out a heavy breath, raising his hands to rest them on the sides of his face.

He wanted to ask them more questions, ask if there was anything else they could do. But Jemma didn't give him a chance.

Her back straightened, her eyes narrowing towards the doorway.

Melissa noticed Jemma's stiffness and spoke up. "What's wrong?"

"Something isn't right," Jemma answered, keeping her gaze focused. "Are there any other areas in the hospital under construction?"

Melissa looked puzzled, but replied, "Just this hallway and the other wing."

"Sierra told me there are two more chimeras that haven't been accounted for," Jemma said, making Mason's anxiety grow. "And based on what I'm sensing, I think one is here."

"Why?"

A loud growl made Jemma's ears perk and for chills to run down her spine.

"I don't know," Jemma said honestly, already moving towards the door. "But I'm going to find out."

*^*^*^*^*^*

Poisoned.

Scott had been poisoned.