Twenty-Nine

"LIFT WITH YOUR LEGS!"

The storm seemed to be rolling in a lot more quickly than Sierra originally thought. Traffic was starting to get backed up the closer they got to town and the clouds only grew darker. Cell towers were getting knocked out. Thunder rumbled overhead as Sierra finally got hold of Malia, who was stuck with her adoptive dad to remove a giant tree from the middle of the road.

By the time Sierra informed Stiles of Malia's whereabouts and they changed course, Malia had lifted the stump out of harms way when they pulled up.

The werecoyote matched Sierra's excitement for the Senior Scribe, tucking her newly cut hair behind her ear. However, Malia was also filled with nerves. The past few months she worked hard with Sierra through summer school. Only a week ago, her final exam took place. The test remained the deciding factor if she would be a senior with the rest of her friends. The results were supposed to come out that night, but she hadn't heard anything yet.

Sierra sensed her frustration and anxiety as soon as Stiles honked the Jeep's horn. Malia grinned at the sight of them, hurrying over with Mr. Tate in tow behind her. "Sorry we're late," Sierra apologized, leaning between the seats.

"No, you're okay," Malia assured before glancing back at her dad. "I'm riding with them to school, so I'll see you at home later."

Mr. Tate nodded, giving her a side hug. "Okay, I hope you all have fun tonight." His eyes flickered between his daughter and Sierra. "Take care of each other, okay?"

Sierra promised him, "We always do. Have a good night, Mr. Tate!"

The man offered her a small wave and stepped away, heading back to his own car. Malia climbed inside the Jeep, pushing Sierra into the middle. Her eyebrows furrowed when she felt everyone's eyes on her and she looked up to see the boys looking at her expectantly. "What?"

"Did you find out yet?" Stiles asked Malia, completely turned in his seat to face her properly. Scott mimicked him while Liam only looked confused.

"Find out about what?"

Malia tried to not seem discouraged. "They're gonna email me."

"Is this about summer school?" Liam asked a different question. One earbud stayed in his ear, keeping him calm against the full moon.

"You told him?" Malia flicked her gaze to Sierra, who quickly held up her hands in defense.

"Wasn't me, Mal. You told me not to tell anyone other than Lydia."

Malia's eyes then narrowed at Stiles. He smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. "Um, about that--"

"No," Liam disagreed, attempting to help Stiles out. However, his ramble only dug a deeper hole. "He only said that you had to go to summer school 'cause the principal said your test scores weren't good enough and you might have to repeat junior year."