Thirty-Nine

"PLEASE EMPTY YOUR POCKETS INTO THE CONTAINER."

Scott spoke first, "We're here to see--"

Yet, the skinny yet creepy orderly behind the front desk of Eichen House didn't let him finish. "Please empty your pockets into the container," he instructed firmly.

The teenagers exchanged glances and unconsciously agreed to listen. Lydia set her purse in the clear tub, Kira and Sierra giving up their phones while Stiles and Scott added their keys to the mix. The orderly looked satisfied, until his eyes landed on Kira.

He frowned. "Please remove your belt," he added, "and place it in the container."

"I, uh, kind of need the belt," Kira disagreed respectfully, knowing she needed her katana with her in case something went wrong. "I mean, it's crucial to the outfit."

The orderly glared at her

The orderly glared at her. "Please remove your belt," he repeated gruffly, "which patients may try to take from you and use to strangle either themselves or others."

Kira's eyes widened. "Right," she squeaked, quickly unclasping her belt from her waist. "I got it." She set it in the tub next to her phone as the orderly's crazed eyes drifted to Lydia.

The banshee shifted from his intense gaze, leading Sierra to step in front of her to block the orderly's view.

She narrowed her eyes at the man in warning, "Don't you have a job to get back to?"

He scowled, about to reply until another unfamiliar man opened the door to their right. Everyone turned their heads as he stepped forward, dressed in a button-down grey shirt and slacks. "Scott McCall and Sierra Page?" he called out expectantly.

The pair exchanged concerned glances, but nodded their heads to confirm their identities.

"This way."

The man, telling them his name was Dr. Fenris, led them through the door  that would lead to the closed unit. They all followed him down the stairs, Stiles attempting to forget what happened the last time he was on these steps.

"I'll remind you, I'm only doing this as a favor to Deaton," Dr. Fenris stated, "And I'm doing it against my better judgment."

"So exactly what's the etiquette for talking with this guy?" Stiles questioned to get his mind off the past. "I mean, do you ever, um, look at the third eye?"

"I wouldn't," Dr. Fenris advised, glancing at the teenagers over his shoulder. "In fact, while you're down here, try to not make eye contact with anyone or anything."

"Is it too late to come up with another plan?" Sierra grumbled, annoyed at the circumstances. Scott looked at her in warning, but she just shrugged. It wasn't any secret that none of them felt comfortable being inside Eichen House. The institution only carried negative energy and terrible memories.