Twenty-Two

"STILES, CAN I BOTHER YOU FOR A SECOND?"

Without missing a beat, Stiles replied, "You always bother me, Liam, but go ahead."

Liam rolled his eyes, following Stiles into the locker room with his lacrosse bag. "I just wanted to know if you've heard from Scott; I haven't seen him all afternoon."

"Maybe because he had a date," Stiles informed the freshman, not really in the mood to talk with him. He was aware of how Liam had been treating Sierra, and he wasn't pleased. Not in the slightest. "I got a text from him earlier and he said he might be a little late."

"Well, how late is late?" Liam wanted to know, clearly nervous about the lacrosse game. "Is he always late?" His words slurred together, his anxiety on the rise. "We're playing Devenford Prep again and this time it's an actual game. He shouldn't be late!"

"Who shouldn't be late?"

Both boys turned to see Coach looking at them in confusion, Stiles's eyes falling to the girl beside him.

Sierra sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose once Coach stopped their conversation. She had arrived earlier to keep the man occupied, but because of Liam, he now knew his captain wouldn't be arriving on time.

Sierra and Stiles exchanged annoyed looks as Liam realized his mistake. Blowing out a breath, Liam told Coach Finstock the truth. "Scott and Kira."

"They might be slightly late," Stiles added, emphasizing the second to last word so his teacher wouldn't freak out.

Coach stuttered, bewildered by the confession. "Uh, slightly late still late," he stammered. "W-What're they doing?"

The three just stared at him.

Sierra spoke up, fiddling with her earlobe nervously. "They're...just doing something that will make them slightly late."

"What could Scott and Kira be doing right now that's more important than playing in the first game?" Coach demanded, not accepting her vague response.

Stiles squinted his eyes

Stiles squinted his eyes. Surely the man wasn't being serious. He sighed, "Oh, Coach."

"It doesn't matter where they are, they'll be here in time for the game," Sierra replied more appropriately to assure Coach Finstock. "Alright? Now, if I remember correctly you and I needed to go on the field and talk with the other coaches and referees." She handed him his clipboard before gently pushing him forward. "Let's go."

Coach grumbled, but didn't clearly speak anymore. He headed towards the locker room door, Liam watching him leave while he bit back a laugh.

Turning to face his girlfriend, Stiles grinned. "Nice work, string bean."

"I do try, you know," she teased, returning his smile. Sierra glanced between him and Liam, her face dulling at the sight of the freshman. "I, uh, I'll see you later," Sierra promised Stiles, excusing herself. "Bye."