Forty-One

WARNING: This chapter includes the repressed memories of Scott and Lydia--including the asthma attack. If this may trigger you in anyway, please skip to the next set of *^*^*^*^*^*

*^*^*^*^*^*

"FORTY-THREE DOLLARS."

Hayden looked at Liam in disbelief, balancing a tray of glow sticks in her hand. They stood amidst a sweaty, half drunk, crowd in the middle of Sinema. Hayden had been counting down the minutes until her shift ended, when the boy she couldn't stand appeared out of nowhere.

"I said I don't want your money," Hayden replied sharply.

But Liam didn't back down. He felt guilty from their first interaction at the club, where he broke special drinks Hayden had been selling for extra cash. Especially since the girl was close with Sierra, Liam felt wrong not paying her back. And because he might've held a slight crush on her.

So, he picked up an easy job and did more chores at home to make up what Hayden needed.

"You said I owed you two hundred," he pointed out, holding the money up.

"Liam," Hayden warned. "Just forget it. I don't accept charity--"

She was interrupted as the flashing lights suddenly cut off, raising a roar from the crowd. Everyone yelled, waving their glow sticks crazily in the air.

"Perfect," Hayden huffed.

Liam called out as she turned her back, heading towards one of the counters. "Hayden! Hayden, wait!"

Hayden set the tray down and disappeared underneath strands of lights hanging in a doorway, ignoring him. He followed her nonetheless. "Hayden!"

When Hayden reached the circuit box, she whirled around with annoyance evident in her eyes. "I gotta be honest, Liam," she snapped. "If you're trying to be a good guy, I really don't care."

"I'm just trying to make up for the sixth grade," he said desperately. All he wanted was for her to listen.

Hayden flipped one of the switches. Only a few lights on the dance floor returned. Her glare narrowed on Liam, who gulped. "Nothing will make up for the sixth grade."

Hayden faced the switches again, and went to turn the top lever. Yet, it didn't budge. She groaned and tried to push it again. "Oh, come on," she grumbled, her agitation growing.

Liam's expression softened and he stepped forward, resting his hand over hers. Tapping into his extra strength, the lever successfully bringing back all the strobe lights.

Hayden furrowed her brows, confused as he slowly let his hand fall back to his side.

"If you want to keep hating me, go for it," he said first, his tone gentle and sincere. "But you said I owe you two hundred, and here's forty-three more." Liam held up the bills for her to take.

The girl hesitated, wondering if he'd pull it away the moment she accepted it. She was used to that kind of behavior from Liam...not this. Liam offered her a small grin once she took the money, before stepping away to head home. He didn't want to bother her anymore than he already did.

He disappeared into the crowd, not noticing the smile that grew on Hayden's lips as he left.

*^*^*^*^*^*

The next morning, Sierra found herself back in the hallways with Stiles. Neither had recalled any repressed memories after reading the book, and Sierra just wanted to get the whole experience over with.

"What if we need some kind of trigger?" Scott wondered aloud. He and Kira had joined them in trying to figure out the mystery behind Vallack's book. "Wasn't Malia driving when she remembered the crash?"