Forty-Five

"STILL WONDERING WHY I HAVEN'T SAID ANYTHING TO SCOTT OR SIERRA?"

The sound of Theo's voice made Stiles hold back a groan.

The two had only been in the jeep for around half an hour, sitting in totally silence. Even though it went against his outspoken personality, Stiles preferred it. He didn't want to hear the beta's attempt on small talk, or pretend they were friends. Stiles was only doing what he was told to do: watch Josh.

"Maybe." He kept his answer short and his eyes on the camera. Hopefully, Theo would read that he wasn't in the mood to chat.

Theo pursed his lips, a beat passing before he asked, "You think I've got some ulterior motive?"

"More than likely."

"Would you believe me if I said that all I want," Theo paused, shaking his head before he corrected himself. "All I've ever wanted, actually, is for you guys to trust me?"

"Nope."

Theo stared at Stiles in disbelief. "So you're here because you're never going to trust me?" he clarified.

"Yep, glad we had this talk," Stiles remarked, glancing at him with obvious annoyance on his face

The beta scoffed and turned towards the window, giving Stiles hope that he was done talking. However, Theo persisted. "You know who you remind me of?"

Stiles replied bluntly, "Theo, I don't care."

"My sister," Theo answered himself, the corners of his lips quirking up. He saw Stiles freeze, his eyes slightly widened. He went on, "She was smarter than everyone else too. And a pain in the ass like you."

Stiles didn't reply, continuing to stare forward.

"She always looked out for me," Theo reminisced, letting out a sigh. "The same way you look out for Scott and Sierra."

Stiles stole a glance at him, the words obviously hitting him hard. He tried not to take it to heart, but when he thought of his girlfriend, he couldn't help it. The moment he met Sierra, she became everything to him. Stiles swore to protect her--she had been through too much even before the supernatural world took over their lives.

Yet he failed, more than once. She kept getting hurt and most of the time, it was because of him. Sierra had grown into this smart, beautiful, bad-ass warrior. She always told Stiles she could take care of herself...and sadly, Stiles believed her. She didn't need his protection anymore.

Theo continued talking about his sister. "You know I was the one who found her body....she had fallen into a creek. Broken her leg."

Stiles pressed his lips together, swallowing hard. Theo's story bothered him--anyone would find it heartbreaking. But he didn't believe him.

"I was told she would've been okay if it wasn't one of the coldest nights of the year," Theo shared, his eyes misting and rimming red. "If it wasn't for the hypothermia." He licked his chapped lips. "You know when I found her...all I could think is that I should've known...that I should've been looking out for her."