Chapter Three

I finished another cigarette before Rob turned up. I was really happy that Becky hadn't looked for me, as I wouldn't know how to explain chain smoking around the corner, after I told her I needed to be somewhere.

"Thanks for picking me up," I said, as I got in Rob's car.

His car was a piece of shit too, and it was always full of rubbish. I needed to kick a few things out of the way before I could see the floor.

"It's okay... So, what happened?" He asked, while driving back in the direction of home.

"I just wasn't feeling it tonight," I lied, and he eyed me suspiciously.

"I can't believe Ivy Shaw has finally struck out!" He teased.

"I didn't strike out!" I argued.

"Ivy, you have never not been feeling it. You've slept with everyone you've been on a date with since you were sixteen, that's hundreds of girls."

"That's a slight exaggeration," I laughed. "I haven't been with hundreds of girls."

"How many then?"

"I don't know, I don't keep score," I answered.

"So why weren't you feeling it?" He asked. "She's hot."

"I'm not blind, Rob, I know she's hot. I just didn't want to go home with her tonight," I replied, "can you drop it now, please?"

He rolled his eyes, then looked straight ahead, and drove in silence. When we got back to the coffee shop, Rob parked the car, and we went up to my apartment.

We drank some more wine, and put some music on, while we ordered a pizza.

"You could have been having sex right now," Rob said, and I frowned at him. "I mean, I know you have more options, but if she wanted to sleep with me, I'd be straight in there."

"She's a lesbian," I laughed.

"I know, but you know what I mean."

"Yep, you mean she's beautiful, and I'm an idiot. I already knew this," I said.

"So, are you gonna tell me what happened?"

"Not right now," I grinned.

Rob kept trying to get information from me for a little while, but after a couple more drinks, he gave up. He was now sat on the floor, attempting to make a house of cards. Every now and then, I would blow it over without him realising and he would need to start again.

"Ivy, why don't girls like me?" He asked.

I frowned. I didn't know how to answer him, because I couldn't understand why he didn't have a girlfriend. He was sweet, funny and caring. And although I was a lesbian, I knew he was good looking.

"I don't know Rob, maybe you just need to put yourself out there a bit more," I suggested.

"But I don't know how to," he said. "I'm not as confident as you, I can't just go up to a girl and ask her out."

"Sure you can, you just need more practice," I assured him.

"Practice?" He laughed.

"Just ask any girl out. You don't need to like her, just get used to doing it."

He looked like he was deep in thought, so I blew his house of cards over again, just to entertain my drunken self. Rob cursed, and picked up two cards again.

Shortly after that, Rob was fast asleep, and snoring, on the sofa. I finished my drink and went to bed. I couldn't sleep right away, I was too busy beating myself up for what happened earlier.